WUSTL placement in Chicago? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OneSixtySix

Bronze

WUSTL placement in Chicago?

Post by OneSixtySix » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:20 am

How does WUSTL place in Chicago? Obviously its fairly far away from Chicago, and chi city seems to have plenty of good schools, but it still seems within the general regional category...and I would expect WUSTL to have a stronger range than other Tier 1 schools.

im_blue

Gold

Re: WUSTL placement in Chicago?

Post by im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 am

Their Chicago placement has really plummeted ITE (along with peers Illinois and Notre Dame), because firms are scaling back their OCI and focusing recruiting efforts on a few schools like Chicago, Michigan, and Northwestern. OTOH, WUSTL does have St. Louis as a backup market.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:25 am

Probably as good, if not better, than Notre Dame. Chicago firms do recruit from WUSTL.

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 am

im_blue wrote:Their Chicago placement has really plummeted ITE (along with peers Illinois and Notre Dame), because firms are scaling back their OCI and focusing recruiting efforts on a few schools like Chicago, Michigan, and Northwestern. OTOH, WUSTL does have St. Louis as a backup market.
I can certainly respect it has plummeted, but in general (i.e. when times were good/normal), WUSTL was an option for a chicago-minded lawyer.

I'm considering the option as St. Louis sounds like an interesting place to live (might be to warm for me though...), and really havent done much research on T30 schools in the mid-west outside of ND.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:36 am

WUSTL places more people in Chicago than they do in St Louis, believe it or not. Of course, St Louis is the second market that WUSTL places in. But usually only a quarter of the class stays in MO in the end. And I would add that most of that is the self-selecting who like St Louis or Kansas City.

There are a number of Chicagoans at WUSTL too. If you think about it, it makes sense. If you don't get into Chicago or Northwestern, then WUSTL is a more competitive option than anything else in Chicago, or even nearby (save the argument of ND). And as opposed to ND, you get to live in a reasonably-sized city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:38 am

WUSTL places more of its class into Big Law, but Illinois places better inside Chicago itself. Though the difference isn't huge. WUSTL probably places better than Minn, Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin, and about as well as Notre Dame.

I am planning on practicing in Chicago, and I would have gone to wherever ended up being cheaper to attend, Illinois, WUSTL or ND. If IUB, Minn, Iowa or Wisco made a signficantly better offer I might have taken it knowing my chances were worse. But if everything was equal I'd have gone to Illinois. But I'm an alumnus of UIUC so I may be a bit biased.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:42 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:There are a number of Chicagoans at WUSTL too. If you think about it, it makes sense. If you don't get into Chicago or Northwestern, then WUSTL is a more competitive option than anything else in Chicago, or even nearby (save the argument of ND). And as opposed to ND, you get to live in a reasonably-sized city.
*cough* Illinois *cough* :roll:

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 am

im_blue wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:There are a number of Chicagoans at WUSTL too. If you think about it, it makes sense. If you don't get into Chicago or Northwestern, then WUSTL is a more competitive option than anything else in Chicago, or even nearby (save the argument of ND). And as opposed to ND, you get to live in a reasonably-sized city.
Oh geez... forgot about IL :roll:
There are certainly other schools we could add to be more inclusive, of course. A lot of these people, who want to get back to Chicago, likely end up at IU-B, MN and even Wisco.

IL is a great school for Chicago, no doubt.
Last edited by You Gotta Have Faith on Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:46 am

OneSixtySix wrote:
im_blue wrote:Their Chicago placement has really plummeted ITE (along with peers Illinois and Notre Dame), because firms are scaling back their OCI and focusing recruiting efforts on a few schools like Chicago, Michigan, and Northwestern. OTOH, WUSTL does have St. Louis as a backup market.
I can certainly respect it has plummeted, but in general (i.e. when times were good/normal), WUSTL was an option for a chicago-minded lawyer.

I'm considering the option as St. Louis sounds like an interesting place to live (might be to warm for me though...), and really havent done much research on T30 schools in the mid-west outside of ND.
Apply to Illinois. There isn't an application fee, and they are generous with scholarship money. As Desert Fox mentioned, they place well in Chicago. If you are admitted to both schools and prefer WUSTL, any $$$ offered by Illinois could be leveraged to get more out of Wash U.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 am

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Oh geez... forgot about IL :roll:
There are certainly other schools we could add to be more inclusive, of course. A lot of these people, who want to get back to Chicago, likely end up at IU-B, MN and even Wisco.

IL is a great school for Chicago, no doubt.
Illinois is the best non T14 for Chicago, though WUSTL is better in the midwest as a whole. Illinois is pretty much Chicago or bust.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 am

Desert Fox wrote: Illinois is the best non T14 for Chicago, though WUSTL is better in the midwest as a whole. Illinois is pretty much Chicago or bust.
+1 for illinois being best non t14 option for chicago.

in regards to wustl, i have never seen any data provided as evidence for wustl placing well throughout the entire midwest region. have any idea where that could be found?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”