Maryland's High Yield? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Geist13

Silver

Maryland's High Yield?

Post by Geist13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm having trouble figuring out how Maryland has such a high yield. According to the current data on LSAC's site (which I believe is for the class of 2011), Maryland accepted 577 students, 306 of which chose to attend. That's a 53% yield which seems quite high, especially for a school ranked in the 40's (it's higher than Stanford's yield). As far as I know Maryland doesn't throw around tons of scholarship money. I'm almost positive that its not for lack of applicants, since I believe they generally receive 4000+ applications (though that is based on older data). The class of 2009 had a 39% yield, which is much lower, but still relatively high. Is the 53% yield simply a function of an admissions mistake, e.g. admitting too many students (they already cut their acceptances from 690 for the class of 2009 to 570 for the class of 2011)?

Their high yield and low acceptance rate makes me quite nervous about my chances.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: Maryland's High Yield?

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:45 pm

they also claim to have a very high selectivity rate...like only 10% acceptance or something. It's simple...they're probably cooking the books.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:55 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:they also claim to have a very high selectivity rate...like only 10% acceptance or something. It's simple...they're probably cooking the books.

But number of applications and number of acceptances are pretty hard numbers to "cook," without blatantly lying. Can we not even trust raw admissions data anymore?

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:00 pm

They may just have a very talented admissions staff. In theory, the perfect scenario is a 100 percent yield and an acceptance rate equal to the number of spots available. The closer you are to these numbers, the better. Yet Maryland wasn't exactly expecting such a high yield last year if I recall correctly.. so that's interesting.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:03 pm

YP?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Geist13 wrote:I'm having trouble figuring out how Maryland has such a high yield. According to the current data on LSAC's site (which I believe is for the class of 2011), Maryland accepted 577 students, 306 of which chose to attend. That's a 53% yield which seems quite high, especially for a school ranked in the 40's (it's higher than Stanford's yield). As far as I know Maryland doesn't throw around tons of scholarship money. I'm almost positive that its not for lack of applicants, since I believe they generally receive 4000+ applications (though that is based on older data). The class of 2009 had a 39% yield, which is much lower, but still relatively high. Is the 53% yield simply a function of an admissions mistake, e.g. admitting too many students (they already cut their acceptances from 690 for the class of 2009 to 570 for the class of 2011)?

Their high yield and low acceptance rate makes me quite nervous about my chances.
I believe that a lot of people apply to this group:
Georgetown
George Washington
William and Mary
Washington and Lee
University of Maryland
George Mason
American
University of Baltimore

A lot of people apply to this group are working professionals (i.e. they have work experience) and they want to be near DC (Because that's where they want to work).

So therefore, they send out applications to all of these schools and then decide based on their acceptances/scholarship money.

Obviously more people will be accepted to say the schools ranked lower than Washington and Lee than not.

In case you didn't know, many of these schools have LSAT ranges that are relatively clustered together.

However, each school can only accept so many people (so they fight for high LSAT's and GPA's)

But a lot of people would rather go to a law school that's accessible from the DC metro system (all of the above) than to go somewhere else (thus, if they are rejected from other programs ranked higher, or receive no scholarship money from them - they go to Maryland).

Reasons for this include wanting to work in DC or to be near DC.

Yet most of the more informed students know that if you want to work in DC - very high grades are key to break into DC (not the location of the school in relation to DC).

To talk about your other question, 99.999% of all law schools have a formula based on past application cycles that predicts how many people are going to accept offers - so schools may send out multiple offers at once but are only anticipating 50% or less of the offers being accepted.

However, the cycle that just past had ultra high offer acceptance rates (i.e. U of Miami over enrolling and offering people money to wait a year)

And it essentially screwed the formulas schools were using.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:28 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
But a lot of people would rather go to a law school that's accessible from the DC metro system (all of the above) than to go somewhere else (thus, if they are rejected from other programs ranked higher, or receive no scholarship money from them - they go to Maryland).
Maryland's law school is located in downtown Baltimore rather than College Park though and the MARC Train is terrible for commuting.

Edit: Not to say you don't have good points.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:32 pm

This is a guess, and I could be wrong because I haven't even looked to see if they offer it, but does Maryland have a binding early decision? My Liberal Arts undergrad with is T2 gets about 2500 applications, accepts 1000 and 750 attend. We keep the high selectivity and insane yield by accepting something like 60% binding ED candidates and then heavily using our waitlist.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 pm

How many times can you say YP?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:46 pm

dresden doll wrote:How many times can you say YP?

According to LSN, it is definitely not YP; only one 167+ and one 162+/3.3+ were not accepted last year.

No ED either, I would have seriously considered applying ED if there was.
Last edited by Geist13 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 pm

What part of the LSAC site are you getting those numbers from?

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 pm

b.j. wrote:What part of the LSAC site are you getting those numbers from?
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... =admission

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 am

Geist13 wrote:
b.j. wrote:What part of the LSAC site are you getting those numbers from?
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... =admission
Hmm. On one of those official sheets that you can download when the application to Maryland pops up, different numbers come out. I wonder what the discrepancy is. Is it simply newer information?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:31 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:They may just have a very talented admissions staff. In theory, the perfect scenario is a 100 percent yield and an acceptance rate equal to the number of spots available. The closer you are to these numbers, the better. Yet Maryland wasn't exactly expecting such a high yield last year if I recall correctly.. so that's interesting.

+ 1

I don't see why it's weird they have high yield.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:38 am

Yea I am not sure why this is a big deal. Maryland has a strong reputation for being regional, thus people who apply there most likely want to be there. Thats a strong reason to go.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 am

I would say there are so many other schools serving the same market that only locals apply to maryland - for example, as an OOS, I never thoughy about it. I got waivers from and applied to w and l, last time w and m, gulc, gw, american, gmu, and uva. That pretty much covers it for someone not from the area - with all of those, plus t14 competing for the market, 1) I never even hear of/think about md, 2) couldn't see moving across the country to go to a school that is beneath all of these rankings wise, with a better liklihood of working in md than dc maybe.

So getting mainly locals applying, those who don't get into one of the above schools or who wants to work in md is prob pretty likely to accept. Fwiw, I don't really recall much tls talk about applying to the school or the school in general, unlike all of the others mentioned.

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:38 am

You couldn't pay me enough to move back to my home city...

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:45 am

LSATfromNC wrote:You couldn't pay me enough to move back to my home city...
Maryland exists outside Baltimore...

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:07 pm

ruleser wrote:I would say there are so many other schools serving the same market that only locals apply to maryland - for example, as an OOS, I never thoughy about it. I got waivers from and applied to w and l, last time w and m, gulc, gw, american, gmu, and uva. That pretty much covers it for someone not from the area - with all of those, plus t14 competing for the market, 1) I never even hear of/think about md, 2) couldn't see moving across the country to go to a school that is beneath all of these rankings wise, with a better liklihood of working in md than dc maybe.

So getting mainly locals applying, those who don't get into one of the above schools or who wants to work in md is prob pretty likely to accept. Fwiw, I don't really recall much tls talk about applying to the school or the school in general, unlike all of the others mentioned.

GMU, American, and Maryland are all located within a few spots of each other. In fact, Maryland is one spot ahead of American in the latest US News rankings. I can see how the others might be superior choices because they are more competitive, especially UVA, but why would American and GMU be such better choices than Maryland?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:53 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:You couldn't pay me enough to move back to my home city...
Maryland exists outside Baltimore...
ORLY, lies!

I will live close to where ever I attend school. I don't want to commute more than 15 minutes or so and I don't want to live in B-more, so I didn't apply. But to each their own.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:06 pm

it has a high yield because a bunch of people apply, find out it's actually in Baltimore, and withdraw before a decision is rendered.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

wiseowl wrote:it has a high yield because a bunch of people apply, find out it's actually in Baltimore, and withdraw before a decision is rendered.
If I somehow get in and go there, do you think it's a good idea to watch all seasons of "The Wire" before the semester starts?

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:25 pm

b.j. wrote:
wiseowl wrote:it has a high yield because a bunch of people apply, find out it's actually in Baltimore, and withdraw before a decision is rendered.
If I somehow get in and go there, do you think it's a good idea to watch all seasons of "The Wire" before the semester starts?
Doing so is a good idea irrespective of applying, getting in, attending, visiting Baltimore, and just about anything else. It's just good.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:58 pm

yeff wrote:
b.j. wrote:
Doing so is a good idea irrespective of applying, getting in, attending, visiting Baltimore, and just about anything else. It's just good.
Considering how much I like a good TV show, you'd think I would have seen it by now, but no. And considering that I still have the same three movies from Netflix that I got before July 4, you'd think I'd stop wasting my money, send the old movies (only one of which I watched all the way through, by the way) in, and then the DVDs of that show. But again, no.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”