Will? He? Go? All? The? Way? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drew

Bronze

Re: Will? He? Go? All? The? Way?

Post by drew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm

wait, wait

http://www.ubersite.com/m/73335

I knew I recognized this thread.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:42 pm

OP

I'm going to put this bluntly.

You should study for the GMAT, and go to a top MBA program. You shouldn't judge the value of an MBA degree based on the way MBA's youve been in contact with think. I personally (yes personally) know several MBA's, some of which are heads Fortune 500 companies, and they are true geniuses.

a TTTT law school will NOT do you any good, and its totally insane to leave 160k for the prospects of these law schools. And yes, I understand that money isnt everything, but hey, you might have another kid, or two, or three, and money will become MIGHTY IMPORTANT.

Your non-money grabbing personality is great, and people should definitely pursue their most passionate interests....but be wise and retake the lsat scoring a 165+ if you MUST....otherwise go kill the GMAT.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:18 pm

In agreement with one of the other posters, even though it's probably 35 miles or something from NYC to Touro, it will take at least 2 hours if you're leaving at 4 o'clock. The traffic on that road, at that time is utterly disgusting in every way.

laurathenerd

New

Post by laurathenerd » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:OP

I'm going to put this bluntly.

You should study for the GMAT, and go to a top MBA program. You shouldn't judge the value of an MBA degree based on the way MBA's youve been in contact with think. I personally (yes personally) know several MBA's, some of which are heads Fortune 500 companies, and they are true geniuses.

a TTTT law school will NOT do you any good, and its totally insane to leave 160k for the prospects of these law schools. And yes, I understand that money isnt everything, but hey, you might have another kid, or two, or three, and money will become MIGHTY IMPORTANT.

Your non-money grabbing personality is great, and people should definitely pursue their most passionate interests....but be wise and retake the lsat scoring a 165+ if you MUST....otherwise go kill the GMAT.
+10000

I really think you need to investigate this law school thing before you fully commit yourself. Can you shadow a lawyer friend for a couple days? Can you talk to some alumni from the school you're focusing on? See what kinds of jobs will be available...if spending time with your daughter is important, you might discover you'll spend LESS time with her if you become a lawyer.

I don't think that law is the best choice for you to spring board into the next phase of your career- but it looks like an MBA would be. Additionally, if you don't want to spend two years working on it, I know that some universities in the UK offer 1 year MBAs that are just as respected as most MBAs in the US (in particular there's one at the University of Edinburgh), and the cost is lower than a two year program in the US.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:08 pm

What type of law is 'doing your own thing?' Real estate, wills, divorces, bankruptcy, estate planning, DUI defense? Just wondering what you had in mind, because you seem so sanguine about starting your own solo prac firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sdonaldson

New

Post by sdonaldson » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:45 pm

In at NYLS, amigos, so this conversation is OVER!

Good luck to everyone. I really enjoyed all the back and forth on this board and the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”