Will misconduct affect my acceptance to Law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ccast1

New

Will misconduct affect my acceptance to Law schools

Post by ccast1 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 pm

I am a senior who like everyone else was once a stupid freshman. I had been sanctioned by the school for underage drinking violations and one time put on conduct probation for a semester. Also more importantly I was cited for a drunk in public which is a class 4 misdemeanor. How much of this information do I have to put on my law school application and how bad will it affect my chances of getting into a good school? LSAT 164 GPA 3.7

calkel

New

Re: Will misconduct affect my acceptance to Law schools

Post by calkel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 pm

no

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Will misconduct affect my acceptance to Law schools

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:01 pm

ccast1 wrote:I am a senior who like everyone else was once a stupid freshman. I had been sanctioned by the school for underage drinking violations and one time put on conduct probation for a semester. Also more importantly I was cited for a drunk in public which is a class 4 misdemeanor. How much of this information do I have to put on my law school application and how bad will it affect my chances of getting into a good school? LSAT 164 GPA 3.7
Depends on the law school. Read each application carefully for what it does and does not require. When in doubt, disclose.

Usually what schools worry about is 1) very recent stuff ("I was arrested last month for pot possession"), 2) very harmful stuff (DWI, violent crimes, embezzlement) or 3) a lack of remorse/learning from your mistake. Public intoxication is stupid but it's not tragic. Disclose to the schools that require it and you'll still probably be fine at most of them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”