motivation for studying law...? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
peekay

New

motivation for studying law...?

Post by peekay » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:28 pm

When a prompt lists off things it will be "particularly interested in," like your motivation for studying law, your academic background, or qualities that enhance the school's diversity, etc...how much of the statement should be dedicated to one or more of these? I've run into a problem because I have my statement down to the final editing stage, but I just realized that I don't tell them why I want to go to law school. I've discounted the academic background part because they'll have my transcripts/resume, and unfortunately, I am nothing close to "diverse" as far as the normal translation of the word goes. Is it okay to include a blurb in your conclusion on why you want to go to law school, or is it important to center your statement around a theme like that?

Specifically, this pertains to the USC law personal statement prompt.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Re: motivation for studying law...?

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:48 pm

With so many people likely applying to law school this year, I think giving a reason for why law is a good idea. If this is evident in your resume or recs, then you should be fine in this regard.

Berryblubear

New

Post by Berryblubear » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:19 pm

I mean unless you have a very unique or interesting reason for studying law don't you think it will just seem repetitive for the admissions people?

I want to study law because I want to help the unfortunate, blah, blah, blah...

peekay

New

Post by peekay » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:12 pm

it may be repetitive, but if it's mentioned in the prompt...?

peekay

New

Post by peekay » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:43 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Is it a specific prompt about why you want to study law?

Or is it suggestions for a personal statement?

peekay

New

Post by peekay » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:54 pm

Your Personal Statement
The admissions committee gives careful attention to your personal statement. We are particularly interested in your motivation for studying law, your academic background, and qualities you possess that may enhance the diversity of our student body. If you are a college senior or recent graduate, you may wish to mention your work history and extracurricular activities. If you have spent a year or more in the work force after college, tell us about your employment experience; enclose a resume to illustrate your chronological work history.

There is no specific word or page requirement or limit for your personal statement. However, the committee values carefully crafted essays that are clear, concise, and compelling.
It seems kind of like suggestions. But, then again, it could be that they are kind of gunning for these elaborations. I'm not sure. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Your PS is like an interview.

Those are the kind of things they are looking for, but I'm of the opinion that you are "interviewing" for a position at that school, and you ought to have something in your PS about what makes you suitable for law school, or why you want to be a lawyer.

You don't have to be explicit, but obviously something is drawing you to law school and addressing it in some fashion in your PS is probably a good idea.

Conversely, diversity doesn't just mean "not white". Have you been out of school for a while? Ever start a Chinese business with $5.5M in sales? Anything that would be a compelling story about you. Really, what they want is to know something about you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”