What is the smallest font? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Shaggier1

Silver

What is the smallest font?

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:33 pm

I seriously cannot cut another word. I am one line over two pages, using TNR. Are there smaller fonts?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Re: What is the smallest font?

Post by maudlinstreet » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I seriously cannot cut another word. I am one line over two pages, using TNR. Are there smaller fonts?
You can always cut another word :) I'll take a look if you'd like, I'm pretty good at editing.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:I seriously cannot cut another word. I am one line over two pages, using TNR. Are there smaller fonts?
I know your essay is awesome but Maudlinstreet is probably right that there might be a word or two to cut... What about a small adjustment with font kerning or going to 1.9 spacing instead of 2X.. 0.98" margins? There must be a way to massage it to just get that one line to fit.

Normally I'd say stick within the guidelines, but if it is only one single line you aren't going to have to break the rules by much.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:19 pm

emrose wrote:
I know your essay is awesome but Maudlinstreet is probably right that there might be a word or two to cut... What about a small adjustment with font kerning or going to 1.9 spacing instead of 2X.. 0.98" margins? There must be a way to massage it to just get that one line to fit.

Normally I'd say stick within the guidelines, but if it is only one single line you aren't going to have to break the rules by much.
It's more like 4 lines (:P), but I'm working on it!

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:23 pm

you can ALWAYS cut another word. and if not, you can rephrase a sentence, or use a shorter synonym.

dont fk with the margins, if you MUST find a way to save some space make all your punctuation size 9, and leave your words size 11+

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:25 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:
I seriously cannot cut another word. I am one line over two pages, using TNR. Are there smaller fonts?

HLS and Penn are the only schools I am applying to that have strict 2-page limits. I know there are certain pieces I could cut; but as soon as I do, I feel like I am losing my voice. I am hesitant to make any changes that make me feel that way.
Last edited by Shaggier1 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:26 pm

I have heard that 11 is sometimes tolerated but definitely nothing smaller than that.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I have heard that 11 is sometimes tolerated but definitely nothing smaller than that.
I am already at 11. My essay is long. I have sort of a complicated transcript, and there is a lot to say.

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:It might make me an auto-reject, but it might also be my only chance at saying all that I want to say.
i would place getting accepted above saying all you want to say in priority.

if they tell you 2 pages, dont submit 3. you'll have plenty of opportunities to make yourself heard when there's less on the line.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:32 pm

I'm still working on editing the essay, but in all seriousness, there's no way in hell a school would auto reject you for going a couple lines over two pages, especially if they have no strict limit.

Can you imagine that? An adcomm reading your (very good) essay, getting to the end of two pages, and becoming outraged - "HOW DARE YOU IGNORE THE TWO PAGE LIMIT! REJECTED!" I really feel this would only be a problem if your essay was boring (which it's not), in which case it might irritate the adcomms to have to keep reading.

I also wouldn't put a disclaimer at the top, because it's just not that big of a deal.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm still working on editing the essay, but in all seriousness, there's no way in hell a school would auto reject you for going a couple lines over two pages, especially if they have no strict limit.
I am inclined to agree with you. I am just being especially cautious for HLS and PENN--the schools that do have a strict 2-page limit.

Thanks a bunch, by the way, for taking the time to edit the essay. That is pretty kind of you.

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:45 pm

They could always elect not to read your essay if you ignored the 2 page limit.

Anyway, nothing smaller than TNR, 11pt, 1" margins.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:51 pm

They could always elect not to read your essay if you ignored the 2 page limit.
Yea, this is my concern.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Perpetua!!

Sequoia90

New

Post by Sequoia90 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:09 pm

[strike]Calibri font is the default for Word 2007 and it lets more on the page. Try it out of there's no font requirement.[/strike]

nm.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Want to take a look at mine when you are done with Shaggier's? Lol.

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:42 pm

emrose wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
Want to take a look at mine when you are done with Shaggier's? Lol.
Sure, send it over

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm an editor at a school newspaper and I want to note something; you can always cut a word or a sentence. What's important to realize is that it's not usually a matter of cutting a sentence or word completely - it's about crafting a phrase that encompasses the same sentiment in a shorter fashion. It's difficult, but it's possible.

When you write, you need to understand that sometimes you need to "kill your darlings" as the phrase goes. Sometimes the sentences you hold most dear are the ones that you need to let go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”