LOCI article and samples Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ianchen

New

Re: LOCI article and samples

Post by ianchen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks for posting this article, it's a great guide at this time of year!

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:01 pm

If I visited the university and sat in on a class after sending in my application should I mention that in my LOCI?

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Ken I need some guidance:

So I sent out my LOCI's and visited. Each of the schools I visited (six of them) said send an LOCI and then after the first deposit deadline send them a note to reaffirm your interest. Then after that every month to six weeks send another note. All the guidance they gave was "let us know your still interested, and whats going on in your cycle."

So all the questions people have asked about LOCI's, could you give advice for these LOCI version 2.0's? Length, what to say, how to say it, who to send it to...etc. I have to send out six in the next two weeks!

Thanks,
The easiest person on TLS for adcoms to identify.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:41 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:If I visited the university and sat in on a class after sending in my application should I mention that in my LOCI?
You bet! That can really help. I think there is a good example of how to do it in the "Why ____" personal statements on this site. You should be able to get some useful pointers from it. After all, a LOCI is kinda just a why _____ essay written after the fact.

G_Girl4098

New

Post by G_Girl4098 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:27 pm

What else should I send with my LOCI?
I know updated resumes are recommend but what about a copy of my official transcript?
Should I get more people(like my current or former boss at a law firm) to write me LOR's?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:24 pm

G_Girl4098 wrote:What else should I send with my LOCI?
I know updated resumes are recommend but what about a copy of my official transcript?
Should I get more people(like my current or former boss at a law firm) to write me LOR's?
If you are going to send all of that, I wouldn't do it all at once. Space it out. Not only will it be less overwhelming (and less annoying) for the admissions official who opens your mail and then has to process it, but it will give the school more instances to hear from you that you are still interested.

A official transcript is a great idea if they do not have one with your most recent grades. If the one they have is up to date, I wouldn't bother. Also, there are a number of schools of thought on further letters of recommendation. I think if they are going to add something new, go for it. If it is just going to be the same thing as your other letters, I think you are better off writing a second letter of continued interest.

Of course, realize that I am a 0L when I say this, and that I have not heard back yet if my efforts paid off. So be sure not to just listen to me.

Good luck!

iggiereilly

New

Post by iggiereilly » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:46 pm

I am writing an LOCI now. Should I include why there is a discrepancy in my LSAT scores? I did not write an addendum to my application so would doing it now do any good?

I can't decide if I should keep it clean and sell myself or try and explain my way out of a virtually unexplainable situation: the only reason my LSAT was low was because I was a lazy bum and didn't study as hard as I should have for the test.

PLEASE HELP!

Dtrain777

New

Post by Dtrain777 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 pm

iggiereilly wrote:I am writing an LOCI now. Should I include why there is a discrepancy in my LSAT scores? I did not write an addendum to my application so would doing it now do any good?

I can't decide if I should keep it clean and sell myself or try and explain my way out of a virtually unexplainable situation: the only reason my LSAT was low was because I was a lazy bum and didn't study as hard as I should have for the test.

PLEASE HELP!
Everything I have read has said not to write an addendum for LSAT discrepancy short of a death of an immediate family member. Also, I don't think it is wise to add it in an LOCI after the fact. So, I would say that you shouldn't include it.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:28 pm

iggiereilly wrote:I am writing an LOCI now. Should I include why there is a discrepancy in my LSAT scores? I did not write an addendum to my application so would doing it now do any good?

PLEASE HELP!
Don't say that your LSAT was low because you didn't study enough. That would be a bad idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fugazi913

New

Post by fugazi913 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:03 pm

several questions...should I write an loci for a school if i'm still waiting to hear from them? I ask because I have an imminent seat deposit deadline at a fallback school. Also should I mention financial considerations, i.e. if i'm accepted but with no financial aid I'm unlikely to attend. Lastly, are family concerns relevant or too personal. I'm waitlisted at a school roughly 1700 miles closer to my aging/ailing parents than i currently live.

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Dear Fugazi,

You can write a LOCI to a school that you have not yet heard back from if you are being soon forced to make a choice. Family concerns/locational advantage are relevant, but also say why the academics of the school are a good fit if possible.

Do not convey that you will not accept unless you get financial aid. First get in and then negotiate on the financial aid.

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:21 pm

thanks for the info, ken!

anxiousaboutschool

New

Post by anxiousaboutschool » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm

What's the process for submitting an additional LOR with your LOCI? Do you have have your recommender send it to LSAC, have them send it directly to the school, or submit it yourself with the LOCI?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

allenfa

New

Post by allenfa » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:48 pm

Anyone willing to take a look at my LOCI? Let me know! Thanks ahead of time. :D

Masternater9

New

Post by Masternater9 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:40 am

How often is it recommended to send in a LOCI. I made sure that all my waitlist schools had a LOCI by april 1. Now that a month has passed,when do I start to consider sending in an additional letter.

Dtrain777

New

Post by Dtrain777 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Masternater9 wrote:How often is it recommended to send in a LOCI. I made sure that all my waitlist schools had a LOCI by april 1. Now that a month has passed,when do I start to consider sending in an additional letter.
depends on the school. I called each of the schools I was WL'd at and asked them "how do I get off your WL?" and got Different answers from each. Gtown told me to call or send a letter once a week. Penn told me to send them as much paper as possible (New LOR, a few LOCI, new grades whenever they come out, etc.). Duke told me they look at the last date you contacted them so I should contact them right before their seat deposit deadline when they start to look at the WL. So if I were you I'd just call the schools and ask them what they're looking for...better than trying to guess.

indecisive09

New

Post by indecisive09 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 pm

should i mention my acceptance/ enrollment at columbia in my locis to harvard and stanford?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Tue May 05, 2009 12:48 pm

indecisive09 wrote:should i mention my acceptance/ enrollment at columbia in my locis to harvard and stanford?
they know your numbers and where you likely were accepted - so my thought on that is no

Action Jackson

Bronze

Post by Action Jackson » Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 pm

doyleoil wrote:
indecisive09 wrote:should i mention my acceptance/ enrollment at columbia in my locis to harvard and stanford?
they know your numbers and where you likely were accepted - so my thought on that is no
That is a poor assumption, they don't know exactly who's taking whom. That said, I don't think Harvard or Stanford cares.

jackrabbitjones

New

Post by jackrabbitjones » Wed May 13, 2009 9:14 pm

When sending updated transcript along with LOCI should I go through LSAC or just send from ug to ls?

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Someone kindly submitted this LOCI, any other samples provided would be great:

March 27, 2009

Monica Ingram, Assistant Dean for Admissions
The University of Texas School of Law
727 E. Dean Keeton Street
Austin, TX 78705-3224

Dear Dean Ingram:

Thank you for taking the time to review my application for the 2009-2010 school year, and especially for offering me a place on the waitlist.

I am writing to assure you that, should I be extended an offer from The University of Texas waitlist, I will gladly accept the offer and withdraw all of my other pending applications immediately. As I move to this next stage in my career, I have absolutely no doubt that UT is the right law school for me.

Since submitting my application in early January, I have learned from my company director that the 2008 calendar year was the most profitable year in the existence of the Austin branch of [where I work]. While I am proud to have attained this financial milestone, I am more pleased with the impact I have been able to have upon the Austin area students; our enrollment over my four years as program coordinator has increased by more than 70 percent, which means I have been able to positively influence the education of hundreds of local students.

The potential to have an even greater impact upon Austin area children is exactly what draws me to The University of Texas School of Law. At no other school could I have the opportunity to learn from Professor Sampson as part of the Children’s Rights Clinic, benefit from Ms. Sigman’s experience with the Travis County Juvenile Public Defender’s Office, or perhaps even apply for a Justice Corps Fellowship with the intent of using it to serve America’s youth, as two recent Fellowship recipients have done.

From my first visit with Pat Taylor in the Admissions Office, to the extensive tour provided to me by current law second-year student Erin, to my most recent phone conversation with Kelly, another member of the Admissions Office staff, I have enjoyed every experience with UT Law I have had to date. I look forward to continuing those positive experiences should I be extended an offer to join the Class of 2012.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dtrain777

New

Post by Dtrain777 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:29 am

jackrabbitjones wrote:When sending updated transcript along with LOCI should I go through LSAC or just send from ug to ls?
straight to the school.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Would anyone be interested in taking a look at my LOCI? PM me your email address if interested :)

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:25 pm

....So are we talking < 1-page double-spaced? Trying to confirm this :x

enkizu

New

Post by enkizu » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 pm

If the person who signed my waitlist letter is Kristine M. Jackson, Assistant Dean of Admissions, should I address the LOCI to "Assistant Dean Jackson" or "Dean Jackson"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”