Swapping personal statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jay115

Bronze

Re: Swapping personal statements

Post by jay115 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:29 am

just finished a solid rough draft of my personal statement - definitely interested in swapping with others. PM me!

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:01 am

I'm willing to swap, and I'm a good editor (Master's in English - we know editing). PM me.

Personally having problems deciding which style of PS to use (I've written 2 drafts: one more story and the other more comprehensive since I'm definitely non-traditional and have a lot of different/potentially relevant experiences).

Sequoia90

New

Post by Sequoia90 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm

PM if you want to swap.

Thanks in advance.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:12 am

deadatheist wrote:work is slow. if anyone wants i'll go over a few today, just pm to me before 2:00/5:00.
all... as much as i enjoy reviewing a ps and sharing any insight i have, i am actually still getting some pms from this very dated post. no worries(!!), we've all touched base i believe, but please no more pms based on this; i'm now struggling to be as helpful and responsive as i could on say, a boring day at work 4 months ago.

i suggest temporarily posting a ps draft and pm'ing any posters you may like to take a look, alerting them to glance at your statement/thread. i'm happy to do that as i'm sure others would be as well. and esp to share any feedback for others to read and see also, if that'll help.

good luck! and do feel free to point me to any threads with statements in need of reviewing- a brief post or so i can def. handle more often than not. sorry to even have to make this post, but detailed pms... no more, please.

thanks!
<3

lml09

Bronze

Post by lml09 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm reaching the final stages of editing my PS and would love to swap with someone. If you're interested, just PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:19 pm

I just finished my first draft and would love some feedback, PM me if you'd like to swap

spekz

New

Post by spekz » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 pm

PM if you wanna swaaaap

ari12345

New

Post by ari12345 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:25 am

hey have a very basic first draft, need a little direction...anyone interested in looking at it/swapping? bugzybuzz@aol.com

zhlaw12345

New

Post by zhlaw12345 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:19 pm

I need some help for my statement, and I am interested in reading others' and provide my (not necessarily better) perspectives.

PM if you want to swap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:29 pm

i would love to swap! just pm me

law_hippo

New

Post by law_hippo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Looking to swap, send me a PM.

laolbjob

New

Post by laolbjob » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Willing to swap my fourth draft.
Last edited by laolbjob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pizzaface

New

Post by pizzaface » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:33 pm

I would love to swap, send me a PM please!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sdavid

New

Post by sdavid » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Please PM if interested in swapping. Draft is nearly final and could use another set of eyes.

hds2388

Bronze

Post by hds2388 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:17 am

willing to swap...pm me.

eakelley

New

Post by eakelley » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I just finished a rough draft, if anyone would like to swap, let me know!

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm

I have a PS in its early stages. It focuses on race/sexual orientation. If anyone is interested in that I'd love some feedback.

Of course I'd offer my opinion on your draft as well.

chris.a.ramos @ gmail

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

knownothing

New

Post by knownothing » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm

If anyone is still interested in a swap, PM me. I have a draft that badly needs beating up.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:03 pm

I would totally love to swap! I'd been trying to get an un-biased opinion, so yay!
PM me!

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 am

Been drafting and re-drafting for a while... but I'm finally ready to show my PS to others and get some feedback.
Willing to swap- PM :)

joemck

New

Post by joemck » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 am

Excellent. I'm at the same stage and would love to swap. I just PM'd you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

letsgojayhawks

Bronze

Post by letsgojayhawks » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 pm

i've drafted and edited my ps several times, but it could really use some brutal honesty...anyone interested in a swap?

La Grind Date

New

Post by La Grind Date » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm

I would love to swap essays! (I just graduated as an English Major & Creative Writing Minor and think I can judge and help improve someone's essays.)

I have a personal statement and a diversity statement. they are completely finished. I would like to get your views!

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:46 pm

I'm also looking for a personal statement swap. Could also be interested in swapping DS, Yale 250, Michigan & Penn optionals, but mine aren't all ready yet.

I'm applying almost all T14 and am 2 years out of UG.

sugarfree

New

Post by sugarfree » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:08 pm

I have posted my PS rough draft below for anyone who might be interested in offering some helpful suggestions.

I believe that my experiences as a college student and as a professional employee are what have most prepared me for the study and practice of law at XXX XXX University.

Prior to college, I enjoyed many different things: Sports, the outdoors and, most of all, playing music. Academia, to say the least, was not one of my primary concerns. To my surprise, while studying in the university, I grew to love learning and the challenge school presented. As I studied philosophy and the mechanics of logical reasoning my interest in legal theory grew, especially in reading the dialogues of Plato. Learning from Socrates, the greatest cross-examiner of antiquity, instilled in me a deep appreciation for thinking and how attorneys utilize many of the same tactics in the legal arena. Like philosophy, legal arguments are not won by groundless opinions and visceral emotions, but with logic and facts. What followed from my discovery of the Socratic Method was a desire to be more persuasive and meaningful in every aspect of life. I wanted to directly engage the legal world that shaped our rights, morals and public policy.

It did not take long to discover, however, that enjoying a liberal education does not make one intelligent overnight. For me, learning requires a great deal of work and discipline. This may seem like a weakness at first, but my determination to succeed overshadows any of my intellectual inabilities. I attended school full-time, worked a part-time job and participated in many extracurricular activities while maintaining the highest academic standards. Similarly, like Socrates before me, I had no great wisdom to boast in, except for the determination to pursue education with great humility. In the end, my determination served me well, as I achieved great academic success and developed the foundational skills necessary to compete in the academy and in the professional world.

After completing my undergraduate and paralegal studies, I instantly put my skills to work with a very reputable law firm in XXX, XX. For the past two years I have dedicated myself to the legal community as a paralegal. Each day my skills grow as I shadow skillful attorneys and learn how to apply and implement the theory of law. Building upon the skills I obtained in college, I have developed a strong sense of responsibility, time management, and the ability to handle difficult situations; moreover, I have been able to harness my analytical, writing and communication skills through my work. In my current position, I handle a very large caseload under the supervision of three attorneys. The nature of my work is demanding as I am responsible for the review and analysis of the files assigned to me. Because of my exemplary qualities several attorneys have given me the authority to negotiate matters directly with opposing counsel in order to resolve pertinent issues prior to their respected hearing dates. This responsibility entrusted to me provides my supervising attorneys with additional time to invest in their practice and the betterment of our firm. These daily experiences have developed my skills beyond the average duties of a common legal assistant and have taught me how to think and act more like a lawyer. In addition, to my current legal duties, I also volunteer my services with a non-for-profit public interest firm in XXX, XX. I help research and compile general election information for the firm’s published voter’s guide. It is not much, but it is an opportunity to serve and help make a difference in the community by providing education and information to voters.

I have no doubt, given my past experiences, that I am exceptionally suited for the study of law and committed to the task. Moreover, I am especially excited about XXX XXX University School of Law (XXX) because of its part-time evening program that provides working professionals with an opportunity to earn their Juris Doctorate. My background is tailor made for XXX’s law program as it will allow me to continue my legal work within the community as I offer my personal qualifications to the school of law. To that end, with humility and determination, I look forward to the rewarding challenges of law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”