Worth an addendum? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Worth an addendum?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Posting as anonymous for obvious reasons...
Is it worth writing an addendum if your college graduation was dragged out a bit? Ideally, I guess, you're graduating in 3 1/2 years. You would, say, start in fall of 2017 and graduate in May of 2021. But my college degree took me six years to get. I changed majors three times and also pursued a different pre-professional field on the side after settling on a major - all of that before changing my mind and deciding on law. Should I write an addendum for this? I worry it could be difficult to broach this, but I wouldn't want to come across as erratic either. I'm working on having numbers that make up for it somewhat, but I still think an addendum could be appropriate. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

cavalier1138

Re: Worth an addendum?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 am

I wouldn't bother. Most people take at least four years to finish undergrad, and six years isn't that unusual. You can do a short "I changed majors" addendum if you're really paranoid, but I don't think it's necessary.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Re: Worth an addendum?

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:Posting as anonymous for obvious reasons...
Is it worth writing an addendum if your college graduation was dragged out a bit? Ideally, I guess, you're graduating in 3 1/2 years. You would, say, start in fall of 2017 and graduate in May of 2021. But my college degree took me six years to get. I changed majors three times and also pursued a different pre-professional field on the side after settling on a major - all of that before changing my mind and deciding on law. Should I write an addendum for this? I worry it could be difficult to broach this, but I wouldn't want to come across as erratic either. I'm working on having numbers that make up for it somewhat, but I still think an addendum could be appropriate. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
I think your transcript would make that self-explanatory. The one thing to keep in mind is if you changed majors so many, you would seem more likely than a random student to drop out of law school. Unless you have something extraordinary to write about, I'd consider making your PS about your motivation to practice law - something that makes you seem committed to it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”