Application Addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
kestrel452

New

Application Addendum

Post by kestrel452 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I would like your take on whether I should write an addendum to go with my applications.

My graduate degree (Finance MBA) GPA, which I did earn from a very reputable school, is considerably higher than my undergraduate GPA. I got much better grades in my last two years in undergrad, especially those more closely related to my major of economics. This was partly due to needing to hone academic skills, and a lot to do with severe depression during my first 2 years at undergrad. I simply was not adjusted to being away from home, friends, and family.

Not sure if it's relevant to the discussion, but since graduating from the MBA program, I've been working full time in corporate finance.

Any insight is welcome. Thank you :)

QContinuum

Re: Application Addendum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm

If you were medically diagnosed with "severe depression" in your first two years of college, and then you were treated successfully and your GPA came up, I think worth writing a brief addendum to point that out. You can also note your MBA GPA, and your success in a demanding corporate finance job, as consistent with your strong performance in your junior/senior years of college.

But if by "severe depression" you really just mean "I simply was not adjusted to being away from home, friends, and family," then I would not write an addendum. Most every college freshman/sophomore needs to hone their academic skills and needs to adjust to being away from home, friends, and family.

kestrel452

New

Post by kestrel452 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 pm

QContinuum wrote:If you were medically diagnosed with "severe depression" in your first two years of college, and then you were treated successfully and your GPA came up, I think worth writing a brief addendum to point that out. You can also note your MBA GPA, and your success in a demanding corporate finance job, as consistent with your strong performance in your junior/senior years of college.

But if by "severe depression" you really just mean "I simply was not adjusted to being away from home, friends, and family," then I would not write an addendum. Most every college freshman/sophomore needs to hone their academic skills and needs to adjust to being away from home, friends, and family.
Thanks for the reply. It was certainly well beyond the normal "adjustment" for most students, as it was legitimate clinical depression that turned me into a wreck and interfered strongly with my day by day. I won't go into details, but it did involve 2-3 years of therapy from a PhD psychotherapist. By any reasonable account, it was rather significant and affected me academically, which is why my graduate GPA is probably a better indicator of future performance.

The hardest part, beyond deciding whether to write it, will be doing so in a manner than doesn't come off as a sympathy grab.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:33 pm

kestrel452 wrote:Thanks for the reply. It was certainly well beyond the normal "adjustment" for most students, as it was legitimate clinical depression that turned me into a wreck and interfered strongly with my day by day. I won't go into details, but it did involve 2-3 years of therapy from a PhD psychotherapist. By any reasonable account, it was rather significant and affected me academically, which is why my graduate GPA is probably a better indicator of future performance.

The hardest part, beyond deciding whether to write it, will be doing so in a manner than doesn't come off as a sympathy grab.
In that case, yes, I think worth writing on. Just be brief and factual. You don't need to go into much more detail than you've included above. Just make clear the fact and severity of your diagnosis and your improved academic performance once this was successfully treated.

Ideally you would have a stellar LSAT score to underline your current abilities. A weak LSAT score would seriously undermine your argument.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”