Would undiagnosed autism/adhd make for a good personal statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawapplicant2017

New

Would undiagnosed autism/adhd make for a good personal statement?

Post by lawapplicant2017 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:56 pm

I have a 3.1/178 LSAT score. The gpa is above-average, but clearly not great. The 178 LSAT score is stellar I think you could say.

Some negatives though: I was in undergrad for 10 years and have quite a number of non punitive withdrawals.

Now back to the 3.1/178 stats.

My goal has always been Top 14 and practicing big law in New York. Some might say I would have a chance at the lower Top 14's - Georgetown, for example.

A little about my life story. I am the only child of two parents that were older when they had me. By the time I was in high school they were both retired. They were both professionals. While I have often been told I am bright (not saying I agree) I always struggled through school. Studied much harder than my peers, but only earned B's and C's. In College I had great difficulty doing well. But still managed the 3.1 gpa. I was 26 when I was diagnosed with Autism and ADHD, which explained my struggles from k-through undergrad. I can concentrate well now and have a 3 year 4.0 upward trend since my treatment. Also, I was the only child of older parents and they both have had healthconcerns while I've been in undergrad a long time and being the only child I had to take care of them and work through it all.

While the 3.1 gpa is set in stone and I have the 178 LSAT. Would the fact that I struggled with undiagnosed autism/ADHD and had sick parents through undergrad, at least make for a good personal statement or addendum? Certainly, I dont expect it to make a difference in how the gpa is looked upon, but compared to someone else with similar grades that may have slacked, should this mitigate a little bit?

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Would undiagnosed autism/adhd make for a good personal statement?

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:19 am

An addendum would make sense. Not for a personal statement. I view the PS as a way to sell yourself to the school with additional context and information that isn’t in your transcript or resume. But it is selling, so I think it should be framed as positive about yourself. It’s so short that taking up room to cover bad things (like a lower GPA) seems like a wasted opportunity.

Bd2727

New

Post by Bd2727 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:33 pm

I would not discuss those issues at all. I would focus on telling your story. You aren't defined by your autism/ADHD so I wouldn't make it a centerpiece of your story.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:48 am

Bd2727 wrote:I would not discuss those issues at all. I would focus on telling your story. You aren't defined by your autism/ADHD so I wouldn't make it a centerpiece of your story.
Right, I wouldn't focus the PS on the ADHD, but I think it's a very valid thing to note in a GPA addendum, particularly in light of the fact that since being properly diagnosed and treated, OP's GPA has swung up to 4.0. This provides very valuable context for the 3.1 and suggests schools should place greater emphasis on their 178 instead of their 3.1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”