Help - PS topic Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Lxwind

New

Help - PS topic

Post by Lxwind » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Just started thinking about PS topics. I intend to apply in September and will be aiming at HYSCCN. Some background: Born and raised in another country and came to the US for a master's degree in public administration. Previous research and internship experiences were all around policy research, especially population aging, long-term care, etc. After graduating in May 2018, I started working full-time in a legal/advocacy NPO focusing on special education. Our firm represents children with disabilities and their families. I do legal research and draft papers for several cases before SDNY - these experiences helped me confirm my interest in practicing law, or litigation to be a little more specific. I really enjoyed researching case laws, reading judges' opinions and mentally laying out our legal arguments, and it is great to feel that our work is meaningful.

When it comes to a topic of the PS, I feel like my life experiences have been a little too "normal". I'm lucky enough that I never really faced serious challenges in my life so far, and I can't think of a single aspect/event that had a long-lasting impact on me. Should I focus on my experiences with special ed litigation and how I became passionate about practicing law? Or should I write about something more personal, like my curiosity towards diverse cultures and societies, my experiences studying in multiple countries and my volunteer/travel experiences in 30 some countries?

Any advice/idea/comment is greatly appreciated!!

lateapplicant19

New

Re: Help - PS topic

Post by lateapplicant19 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 am

I suppose I should return the favor.

You seem to suggest that your experience at this NPO has had a lasting impact on you - it has made you interested in litigation. You certainly can go that route but it'd have to be pretty specific. But "Why Law?" is generally a difficult nut to crack, mostly because you'd be competing with thousands of applicants who also wrote the "Why Law?" PS, it would have to be exceptional.

TBH, you seem to have lived an interesting life, you have time till the application if you're aiming for the next cycle, I'd think hard about those travel and volunteering experiences. I didn't really know what I was going to write about until I put pen to paper, and I'm very happy with the result.

Scutrules

New

Re: Help - PS topic

Post by Scutrules » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:32 pm

Lxwind wrote: I started working full-time in a legal/advocacy NPO focusing on special education. Our firm represents children with disabilities and their families. I do legal research and draft papers for several cases before SDNY - these experiences helped me confirm my interest in practicing law, or litigation to be a little more specific.
That's your answer. Why did this confirm your interest in law? What about those kids made you want to fight for them? Why, when you already have a good job, do you want to quit it for law school?

I think you could have a really good PS with this experience. PM me if you ever want me to look at a draft. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”