Should I write an addendum for my 2.7 gpa? Do schools really take it into consideration? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jenni12043

New

Should I write an addendum for my 2.7 gpa? Do schools really take it into consideration?

Post by jenni12043 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:43 pm

My gpa is so low because my family was evicted and I didn't know how to cope, on top of that I was on the Nursing track at my school and I was doing horribly. The next year I was evicted again but this time I switched my major to government was able to persevere and I ended up making dean's list for the first time. So I was gonna explain that on my addendum.

QContinuum

Re: Should I write an addendum for my 2.7 gpa? Do schools really take it into consideration?

Post by QContinuum » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:14 pm

I think housing insecurity is worth writing an addendum on. I'd focus on that and would not mention your struggle with the subject matter of nursing.

albanach

Gold

Re: Should I write an addendum for my 2.7 gpa? Do schools really take it into consideration?

Post by albanach » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:43 pm

QContinuum wrote:I think housing insecurity is worth writing an addendum on. I'd focus on that and would not mention your struggle with the subject matter of nursing.
I'm wondering if it should be an addendum or if that might not make for a compelling personal statement. OP, other than making Dean's list, do you have other positives that you could play on as a demonstration that you turned things around? Were you evicted because of reasons genuinely outside your control, or as a result of what some could perceive as being poor choices/decision making on your part?

jenni12043

New

Post by jenni12043 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:54 pm

albanach wrote:
QContinuum wrote:I think housing insecurity is worth writing an addendum on. I'd focus on that and would not mention your struggle with the subject matter of nursing.
I'm wondering if it should be an addendum or if that might not make for a compelling personal statement. OP, other than making Dean's list, do you have other positives that you could play on as a demonstration that you turned things around? Were you evicted because of reasons genuinely outside your control, or as a result of what some could perceive as being poor choices/decision making on your part?
I think coming from completely failing the previous semester because of eviction to getting evicted again but excelling above and beyond in my academics is a big turnaround. Unless its not? Well I wouldn't say poor choices, because I personally don't handle rent my mom usually does. So I would say that it was genuinely outside of my control.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 pm

albanach wrote:
I think it could certainly serve as a foundation for a PS, but if OP already has an even better "why law" PS, then this should be fine as an addendum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”