Should I write an addendum for a lower LSAT score? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lawschoolhopeful440

New

Should I write an addendum for a lower LSAT score?

Post by lawschoolhopeful440 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:11 am

Alright so I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to write an addendum explaining a lower LSAT with a good amount of the schools I am applying to. I took the LSAT 2 times and received a 154 both times. My GPA, however, is a 3.91. I was thinking about writing an addendum explaining how I believe my undergraduate performance is more of an indicator as to how well I will do in law school compared to my LSAT score. I believe that 4 years of success is more indicative of how good of a student I will be opposed to a standardized test. What do you guys think? Should I write an addendum about that? I've read conflicting reports on whether it would be a good idea or not, so I am seeking as many opinions as possible. Thank you guys!

cavalier1138

Re: Should I write an addendum for a lower LSAT score?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:49 am

Nope.

If your SAT scores were significantly lower than your undergrad's medians, then you might be able to make a case for standardized tests not accurately reflecting your ability to perform well in school. Even then, it's shaky. An addendum saying "I don't test well" really doesn't look great without any external justifications (learning disability, medical issue, etc.).

The better idea is to figure out how you could better prepare for the LSAT. How did you prepare? Did you underperform compared to your practice tests? The test is 100% learnable, and if you managed a 3.9 GPA, you can improve your score.

Npret

Gold

Re: Should I write an addendum for a lower LSAT score?

Post by Npret » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 pm

If only addendums were counted in calculating rankings and medians. Unfortunately they are not so writing one won’t help you.
Your best bet is to study and retake.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”