C&F Traffic Violation Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
BarelyConcealedRage

New

C&F Traffic Violation

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm

A few years ago, I had a family emergency and was cited with a misdeamenor speeding violation (25 over speed limit). The citation was later amended to a civil infraction that was no longer misdeamenor level and the charges were dropped.

Most c and f questions ask me to exclude traffic violations. Would this be considered a traffic violation?

albanach

Gold

Re: C&F Traffic Violation

Post by albanach » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:30 pm

BarelyConcealedRage wrote:A few years ago, I had a family emergency and was cited with a misdeamenor speeding violation (25 over speed limit). The citation was later amended to a civil infraction that was no longer misdeamenor level and the charges were dropped.

Most c and f questions ask me to exclude traffic violations. Would this be considered a traffic violation?
I presume by C&F you mean for the bar, rather than character questions on a school application?

The sample NCBE Character and Fitness questionnaire asks about moving violations separately.
NCBE wrote:36. Have you been cited for, arrested for, charged with, or convicted of any moving traffic violation during the past ten
years?
Note: Include matters that have been dismissed, expunged, subject to a diversion or deferred prosecution program, or
otherwise set aside. Omit parking violations.
□ Yes □ No
  • Date of violation (Mo/Yr)
  • Charge(s) at time of final disposition
  • Final disposition
  • Description of violation
  • Name of law enforcement agency
Are you sure you're not being asked for the info in another section?

If you are sure, it would help to know the exact wording of the question you seek to answer.

BarelyConcealedRage

New

Post by BarelyConcealedRage » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:56 pm

I do mean for the bar, I apologize. This would be for the Illinois bar which I dont believe separates moving violations fron regular criminal citations. What I am confused on is if that citation is even considered a criminal citation as the court records have no documentation of the misdeamenor charge, and all that is referenced to it is that the citation was "edited".

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Ok, I'm not an Illinois attorney, this is not legal advice. I don't know any details of your driving record so this is my general thoughts on the questionnaire as I found it online.

Here's what I found as the question: "During the last 25 years, have you been formally or informally detained, restrained, cited, summoned into court, taken into custody, arrested, accused, charged, convicted, placed on probation, placed on supervision, or forfeited collateral in connection with any offense against the law or an ordinance, or accused of committing a delinquent act, other than traffic offenses set forth in response to question 47 and as set forth in your Driving Record provided under question 48."

That seems pretty clear to me. Does the matter you mention appear on your answer to either of the next two driving-related questions. If so, disclose it fully there. If not, disclose it fully here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”