Abuse Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
dewdroplets

New

Abuse

Post by dewdroplets » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 am

Hi,

I am currently crafting a draft for my personal statement - my topic is discussing the domestic abuse I endured as a child and adolescent, and how it delayed my personal growth. I was nearly aborted as a child. This is a sensitive topic - I don't want it to sound like a sob story.

I'm currently working for the Department of State, and previously worked for the Department of Commerce, the U.S. House of Reps, Equifax, and serve as a board member of two nonprofits. How do I shape my history into something admirable, rather than something to be pitied?

Npret

Gold

Re: Abuse

Post by Npret » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:08 am

dewdroplets wrote:Hi,

I am currently crafting a draft for my personal statement - my topic is discussing the domestic abuse I endured as a child and adolescent, and how it delayed my personal growth. I was nearly aborted as a child. This is a sensitive topic - I don't want it to sound like a sob story.

I'm currently working for the Department of State, and previously worked for the Department of Commerce, the U.S. House of Reps, Equifax, and serve as a board member of two nonprofits. How do I shape my history into something admirable, rather than something to be pitied?
It sounds admirable already. You don’t need to focus much on the past except to say how you overcame it. Law schools care about who you are now. I’m not sure you want or need to get into too much detail. Saying you were nearly aborted may not be relevant? That’s up to you.

Npret

Gold

Re: Abuse

Post by Npret » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:09 am

I couldn’t edit so I’m adding, I think you will be able to have a great statement. You sound admirable just fromthe little you wrote here.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”