PS topic suggestions Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
living_rural98

New

PS topic suggestions

Post by living_rural98 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Good evening,

I have been brainstorming PS topics for several weeks and can't fully decide which topic to choose. Academics: GPA 3.88, LSAT 158, Agricultural major.
My target school is UGA where median LSAT/GPA is 162/3.71. I am re-taking LSAT in June. I am from a large family, son of a mailman, and was raised in a small town with a population of less than 500. I am a recipient of a $38,000 national scholarship which has allowed me to attend leadership summits on both sides of the coast. The first summit allowed me to fly in an airplane for the first time. Also, I have served on multiple political campaigns. Some life changing events were when I almost died in an accident when I was 5 and when my family adopted a foster child in my teens. When I was 18, my girlfriend and future wife became pregnant. I promptly married her and became a dad at the end of my first semester in college. This has changed my outlook on life, humbled me, and prompted me to dedicate my life to them. I know this a lot of information and a variety of mixed personal information. I would appreciate any ideas on how to choose and narrow down a topic. Thank you so much!

Orpheus

New

Re: PS topic suggestions

Post by Orpheus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I guess it depends on how you want to brand yourself. Is there a common theme in your life that demonstrates your values and life choices? UGA is a great law school; I'm just thinking what would stand out to them.

You come across as a humble person, so I think talking about small beginnings and how your humbleness and ability to be flexible about life prepares you for law school. Maybe focus on that event in your life that changed your life perspective.

jennie

New

Re: PS topic suggestions

Post by jennie » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:58 pm

Just some personal opinion:

Personally, I'm interested in your statement:

"When I was 18, my girlfriend and future wife became pregnant. I promptly married her and became a dad at the end of my first semester in college. This has changed my outlook on life, humbled me, and prompted me to dedicate my life to them."

And would like to hear how this experience has changed you. Maybe you could also make a connection to why you want to go to law school.

Attending the summit sounds cool. If you can also make a connection, include it. Otherwise, it could be an alternative topic, or perhaps you can put it on your resume.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”