Personal Statement Idea Too Specific? (Or maybe even inappropriate?) Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tlp247

New

Personal Statement Idea Too Specific? (Or maybe even inappropriate?)

Post by tlp247 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Hello!

Just a quick background - applying to law school is (hopefully) the start of a second career for me. For the past 9 years I've worked first as an EMT (as a way to support myself in college) and then as a paramedic, before fairly quickly finding myself in a leadership role within the company I worked for. Its been an amazing and unique journey for me, and I want to tell that story as much as possible to help me stand out in the law school admissions process.

I have a working idea for my personal statement, but I was hoping to get some feedback on whether its going to be too specific, or even something I shouldn't delve into. Part, but not all, of my motivation for going to law school are my experiences working in management. When I was promoted I was stunned to go from what was a very accepting, tolerant group of co-workers (as a gay man this was very important to me), to a not so subtly sexist, homophobic and occasionally racist old boys club. During my time in that position I found myself shut out if I didn't laugh along with what I was told was "good natured" banter, and also found myself witnessing hiring and disciplinary decisions that I felt were unethical - essentially "the club" liked to play favorites with certain employees. Every time I raised an objection, I found myself pushed further away.

Just for clarification... this wasn't the entire company. The specific department within the company I was a part of was the complete opposite of an old boys club.

While law school has always been something I've thought about pursuing, these experiences are what shaped my desire to go into plaintiff's side employment law. Any help that anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all!

dropout

New

Re: Personal Statement Idea Too Specific? (Or maybe even inappropriate?)

Post by dropout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:10 pm

I don't think the topic is too specific, being specific is usually a good thing. I also, don't think it is inappropriate. Just be sure to highlight how you have grown from the experience. It sounds like your efforts to change the situation were unsuccessful, so that might be a big obstacle.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”