Overcomin Adversity Essay -- rough draft Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Overcomin Adversity Essay -- rough draft

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 am

i had to work to support my mother while she overcame cancer also btw i have a black father. i lived in a shack while growing up, we had an outhouse. i didn’t know what a sink was until i was 12 and we had to steal toilet paper.

then, when my mother came out and married my stepmother, she sexually abused me until i was 15.

we had one plate for my ten siblings and i, but we didn’t need it bc we never had food. we killed pigeons for food. when we couldn’t catch the pigeons, we imagined what it would be like to eat them. that was almost as filling. we only had hot food twice a year, on pigeon day.

we didn’t have a fire, we would huddle around a bunch of menorahs, all lit up. i’m jewish, too. we made the candles out of our own ear wax.

none of my mothers or father went to school past first grade. they couldn’t read, and they thought school was for the devil and wouldn’t let me go. i had to fight them off every day. in addition to being jewish, i’m also a fundamentalist. sometimes i would drug them just so i could get out and go learn. for a while, we lived in an FLDS camp. that was when i lived with my father. he had 14 wives. i owned three books my whole life, that i found abandoned on the side of the road: “the stranger” by camus, a phone book, and the september 1993 edition of glamour magazine. i would read them, over and over, because i loved learning so much.

we had to leave in the middle of the night once, because my dad got into some trouble with the local delinquents. he had an alcohol problem. my younger brother actually has fetal alcohol syndrome. my mothers were usually too high to take care of him, so i would take him to school and tell him to hide places while i was in class. i also had to breast feed him, which was weird.

then, my mothers sold me into a prostitution ring. that’s how i decided to tackle sex trafficking law. i managed to get away by walking to the attorney general’s office. it was 300 miles away in july in portland. i had no shoes. thankfully any time i walked up to someone’s house, i knew their name, because i had read and memorized the entire phone book. i used my skills to impress people into giving me food and water. i believe some thought i was an autistic savant. i’m not, but i am deaf and suffer from crippling OCD. i’m also blind. in school, they would beat me, because i wouldn’t hear the teachers and act up. but it was still my safe haven, because in the FLDS camps and with my fundamentalist jewish mothers, i was beaten because they assumed being deaf meant the devil had cursed my soul. until i was 16, i didn’t know my name was [redacted]. i was referred to as “the devil child.”

despite my disabilities, i was determined to take the LSAT unassisted. i in fact emancipated at the age of 16, which was pretty much just nominal, since my parents had never done anything for me ever at all anyways. despite not being able to see, i took the normal LSAT and achieved a 180. i hope that is high enough. see, i did not know that the LSAT existed until the last day of late registration. i knew i wanted to be a lawyer, but i did not know how to become one, and i did not have a computer or internet to research. i’m pretty sure a 180 is good, though. i know i am not a perfect candidate, due to my sub-4.3 GPA, average LORs, and GED, but i feel, if just given the chance, i can really blossom as an attorney.

DrGlennRichie

Bronze

Re: Overcomin Adversity Essay -- rough draft

Post by DrGlennRichie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 am

"we made the candles out of our own ear wax" - Mythbusters showed that it wouldnt work. Dont see how AdComms would believe that

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:04 am

as i mentioned, i'm visually-impaired and would not be able to tell how long a candle was burning. also ear wax is flammable but thanks for the constructive criticism.

T12orBust

New

Post by T12orBust » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 am

Is your shift key broken? Or are you trying to write the whole thing in reverse small caps

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post by PourMeTea » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:57 am

there are in fact crumbs stuck under my shift key atm

anonlaw2017

New

Post by anonlaw2017 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 am

Are you LGBTQIAZ? If so mention that!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”