Is this PS too risky? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Is this PS too risky?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:48 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

make tls great again

New

Re: Is this PS too risky?

Post by make tls great again » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

publish on medium under a pseudonym - yes

law school PS - no

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:15 pm

This is definitely provocative. Write articles or novels and skip law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Justtrying2help wrote:This is definitely provocative. Write articles or novels and skip law school.
Is being provocative necessarily a bad thing? Seems like most PS's are just about a father or grandfather or experience as a paralegal... not to hate on that, but they get pretty boring.

make tls great again

New

Post by make tls great again » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:26 pm

even if you remote the half dozen references to prostitution, which is a topic i would avoid in your PS unless it's about your harrowing escape from a life of child prostitution, this PS leaves the reader thinking that you might have a very skewed impression of what being a lawyer is like

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Trackb245

New

Post by Trackb245 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 pm

If your stats are in line with an admission, there is no way that I would submit this. It's an interesting hail mary for a reach school though.

FWIW: As a reader, I come off wondering if you are exaggerating. Also, you come across a bit naive about how "exciting" your day to day will actually be.

covfefe

New

Post by covfefe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:12 pm

I don't think the concept is too risky. It does grab my attention right off the bat. Right now though, I think it's too unfocused to accomplish what you're going for. It starts by talking about generally being a ghostwriter, then paragraph 4 sticks out as not belonging in any kind of narrative, then paragraph 5 feels like it was towards the end, but you moved it to paragraph 5 for some reason, and then paragraph 6 and 7 are a story in and of itself, and then the last paragraphs read like part of a very conventional PS that don't feel connected to your time in the Valley (like I think I could take those 2 paragraphs and put them at the end of almost any personal statement and they wouldn't not fit, ya know)?

BUT this concept is wildly intriguing. I have some more specific thoughts that we could chat about over PM if you wanted, but I think generally, the strongest part of this is the first/second paragraph (maybe you could scrap out references to prostitution, but honestly I'm not sure you need to -- this is an interesting perspective and set of experiences that probably most people applying to law school don't have) and the section about uncovering your CEO's criminal undertakings, and I wonder if you can expand on that particular story and connect it back to your interest in the law very directly (vs explaining your interest in the law in terms of things you did in high school or reading philosophy - which, as you sorta alluded to in an earlier comment, reads as a pretty typical PS).

And like you said, you're a splitter. I couldn't tell you how like, 'dire' your splitter situation is without numbers, but I think either way this is the beginning of some really good writing. Keep revising, i don't think this is done yet, but IMO, go for it.
Last edited by covfefe on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

covfefe

New

Post by covfefe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Trackb245 wrote:Also, you come across a bit naive about how "exciting" your day to day will actually be.

Also, that. But I think if you can focus your essay a little more on telling one story, the (what I imagine is accidental) naivety will fall away.

Skadidas

New

Post by Skadidas » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Definitely interesting and intriguing to read. I say go for it haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Last edited by Justtrying2help on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Justtrying2help wrote:This is definitely provocative. Write articles or novels and skip law school.
Is being provocative necessarily a bad thing? Seems like most PS's are just about a father or grandfather or experience as a paralegal... not to hate on that, but they get pretty boring.
Being provocative is awesome, but your ps exceeded the bounds broached by the typical provocative ps (unless the school is a major reach). You obviously have a talent for writing, but you should organize it a little better as mentioned by the other posters. Also, your actions in paragraph 7 during your employment is a little cringey and may possibly turn off an admissions team (someone correct me if I'm wrong but lawyers are taught to defend their clients/employers and paint them in the best light).

If I were you, I would keep the ps, but use it in a way that paints you in the most favorable light without being cheesy. At the moment, this reads like a hail mary ps.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I think it's great. I'd submit it.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

I think the last three paragraphs are pretty damn good. I'd junk just about everything else before it and instead focus not on some random activating event but more on your history of research that led you to the last few paragraphs. Talk more about those instances specifically and what they taught you. Turn the five paragraphs of exposition into one and then do something to get more of you on the page.

Apropos of nothing, I would like to read more of your stuff under the thumb of a really good editor. I think you're way talented.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I'll try and tone it down a bit/ focus it to make sure it doesn't seem like I'm going into law just for the drama.

Re: my splitter status - 171 first time (considering retake), 3.5 upga. This shouldn't be a shot in the dark PS; my numbers are fairly in line with the schools I'm applying to (above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA).

make tls great again

New

Post by make tls great again » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 pm

just keep in mind that any adcomm with something to hide is going to be concerned that you'll start reading their emails and stalking them outside of school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 pm

make tls great again wrote:just keep in mind that any adcomm with something to hide is going to be concerned that you'll start reading their emails and stalking them outside of school
LOL well maybe they shouldn't be doing shady/illegal shit

damask_rain

New

Post by damask_rain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Why not continue your work as a writer. Haha. Honestly, this made me question your character.

If you want to use this as a PS, I think you need to tone it down and remove various parts. Also the Foucault bit was too much for my taste. "Doling out punishment" :)

I just read this again and noticed some inconsistencies.
Last edited by damask_rain on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 pm

I actually liked this, though doubtless with some refinements. It's certainly risky, but it's not boring.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 pm

I'm not quite sure why everyone is having a hard time with this topic. It's extremely well written, and aside from needing to trim some words off (which might get rid of some of the more questionable bits in the initial paragraphs), I think it's a good topic.

And I really don't think this is going to get you flagged as someone who wouldn't defend a client down the road. Lawyers aren't expected to actively cover up criminal activity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”