Naming Names in PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bruiserwoods12

New

Naming Names in PS

Post by bruiserwoods12 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 pm

I've written my PS and need some advice from fellow TLS posters out there. My PS is about work experiences that led me to decide to go to law school. Currently I've named the companies by their actual names for the sake of clarity. I'm debating if I should keep it as is, or if I should use descriptors/nicknames.

Thoughts on naming the companies outrightly versus simply describing or even nick-naming them??
Last edited by bruiserwoods12 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arroznueve

New

Re: Naming Names in PS

Post by arroznueve » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Don't nickname them.

Try describing them and see how it reads. If it still flows (that is, if your descriptions are a word or two and not some long-winded thing), it's probably safest. Moreover, unless every employer for whom you have worked is internationally recognizable by name, you probably have to describe what they do, anyway, to make the point you want to make.

At the same time, make sure you reflect on your draft: if you're saying something that has caused you to hesitate whether to name the employer it is about, is what you're saying really appropriate? Can it be written in a way that accurately communicates what you learned without "implicating" the employer?

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Drag them
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:57 pm

My personal statement was a very negative look on a past internship (extremely unethical and hostile work environment) and how I learned to fight for myself. I took out the name of the firm as well as taking it off of my resume. The lead partner of the firm is an alum of one of the schools I'm applying to so I didn't want to take any chance of it getting traced back to my boss.

If you're being negative in any way, I would suggest leaving out names. Who knows who is reading your statement and what their connections are.
That being said, if it is a big chunk of your resume that you can't take out, they could probably figure it out from looking at the two.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

mistakepluskeleven wrote:My personal statement was a very negative look on a past internship (extremely unethical and hostile work environment) and how I learned to fight for myself.
If you didn't already submit this statement, I strongly recommend changing the topic. Bitching about past employment (no matter how you spin it) isn't a good look.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Mr. Peanutbutter wrote:Drag them
+180

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
mistakepluskeleven wrote:My personal statement was a very negative look on a past internship (extremely unethical and hostile work environment) and how I learned to fight for myself.
If you didn't already submit this statement, I strongly recommend changing the topic. Bitching about past employment (no matter how you spin it) isn't a good look.
I didn't phrase that correctly. I had it checked by my pre-law advisor and toned it down a ton so it was about what I learned/personal growth instead of simply complaining about the horrible experience, but I totally agree that nobody wants to read a bitch fest lol

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 am

mistakepluskeleven wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I didn't phrase that correctly. I had it checked by my pre-law advisor and toned it down a ton so it was about what I learned/personal growth instead of simply complaining about the horrible experience, but I totally agree that nobody wants to read a bitch fest lol
I would also have someone else check it. Pre-law advisors are notoriously incompetent at every aspect of the admissions process.

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:16 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
mistakepluskeleven wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I would also have someone else check it. Pre-law advisors are notoriously incompetent at every aspect of the admissions process.
Lol good call. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”