Applying to BC: advisable to write DS about being gay? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Applying to BC: advisable to write DS about being gay?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm applying to Boston College (Jesuit Catholic) and was wondering if its a good idea to write a DS about being gay. I'm not worried about any anti-gay attitudes going there (since its Boston and its not like BC is all devout Catholics). I just wanted to make they also looked favorably upon this sort of thing the way schools like BU tend to. Thanks

TripleM

Bronze

Re: Applying to BC: advisable to write DS about being gay?

Post by TripleM » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm not going to answer your question directly but rather ask a different question. Do you want to attend a school that would penalize you for being honest about who you are?
If they would penalize you, then you're too good for them anyway. Fuck 'em. I'd write the DS you believe represents you. If that leads a school to reject you, then you've dodged a bullet.
I would send the best DS you've got, regardless of content, because there are two possible outcomes and both are positive. 1) They accept you for who you are and both you and the school have started your relationship with some shared values. 2) They reject you and reveal themselves as a bigoted institution that you should not associate with in any fashion.
Anonymous User wrote:I'm applying to Boston College (Jesuit Catholic) and was wondering if its a good idea to write a DS about being gay. I'm not worried about any anti-gay attitudes going there (since its Boston and its not like BC is all devout Catholics). I just wanted to make they also looked favorably upon this sort of thing the way schools like BU tend to. Thanks
Last edited by TripleM on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#gobroncos

Bronze

Re: Applying to BC: advisable to write DS about being gay?

Post by #gobroncos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm

BC is definitely not a school that will penalize you for being gay. It will be seen as a positive with respect to diversity, if anything. Ave Maria would be a different story, but your app could literally be read by a Jesuit priest and I almost guarantee it would be seen in a positive light. Worry not.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”