Culture Diversity Statement - Getting Started Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ekdonn

New

Culture Diversity Statement - Getting Started

Post by ekdonn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:50 pm

How is this different from a personal statement?
What kind of information should be in this?
Good idea to talk about my upbringing or will I sound like I am whining?

Can I talk about my passion for conservation? My love for volunteering? I feel like this makes me different from the rest of the class...

What are you writing about?

sbdxaric

New

Re: Culture Diversity Statement - Getting Started

Post by sbdxaric » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:29 pm

I think the point of the diversity statement is to let admissions gauge how "different" you're path and experiences were from the "average," so I guess this is less about personality and more about how your personality came to be, in a sense.

Ok, so I admit that didn't make much sense, but I think anything that shaped you or brought about an unusual view you may have (what experiences led you to love volunteering?) could be verbalized in a diversity statement.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Re: Culture Diversity Statement - Getting Started

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:48 pm

My view of the difference between the personal statement and the diversity statement (insofar as your personal statement is a narrative) is that the personal statement asks how your experiences, objectives, and values interact that make law school the next step. The personal statement asks how your life has granted you perspective, and, more importantly, how that perspective motivates your work in the law.

For the diversity statement, I saw it as asking me what is it that I bring to the class that i want to be a part of. Is there an aspect of my social identity/personal experiences that influences my understanding of the law? How do I see this manifestation affecting the conversations, both inside and outside the classroom, that I am a part of? Lastly, how does the above help me construct the kind of person and advocate that adds to the legal profession as a whole?

My advice could be utter bullshit; I'm waiting on decisions. But this was my starting point, and I doubt that the above counts for nothing.

blueapple

Silver

Post removed...

Post by blueapple » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Post removed...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”