Desperately need some help with my PS topic! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Betty Gao

New

Desperately need some help with my PS topic!

Post by Betty Gao » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 am

Hello everyone!

This is my first time to post something on TLS. Really nervous right now!
So the thing is, I really can't decide what topic should I write...
I have come up with several topics, would you nice people help me with this?? Thank you guys very much!
1. Justice delayed is justice denied. I saw a case about a innocent man was jailed for 10 years, his family had appealed again and again and finally the court retrial this case and found out he was innocent, but the poor man died so he died as a criminal.(Is this too radical? Because I am a Chinese, is this looks like I am trying to say something bad about my country...?)
2.My aunt had a very miserable marriage. Her husband had a major depressive disorder, so he cheated with my aunt and hit her. I was angered and this thing makes me want to get into law school to know more about human rights.

Really hard to decide... please help me!

Piggy11

New

Re: Desperately need some help with my PS topic!

Post by Piggy11 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Unfortunately, none of those are good topics, because they are not PERSONAL.
You can use a news story or the adversities faced by someone in your family as a very brief introduction, but the rest of the statement needs to be about YOU and what YOU have done to pursue that interest (volunteer work would be the best example, but I understand that the opportunities for that might not be as abundant in China). If you have that, great, but if not, you'll have to write about something else, preferably something where you can provide examples from your own experience.

Betty Gao

New

Post by Betty Gao » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm

Oh...I got it.
I will find something that can reflect my own experience!
Thank you very much, Piggy 11!!! That does help a lot! :D

Betty Gao

New

Post by Betty Gao » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:25 am

Here is another thought: I am always told by my family that girls should not work so hard . I totally disagree with this and I am going to prove them wrong. That a girl should work hard to chase dream and create some values like man does. How about this...?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 am

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Betty Gao

New

Post by Betty Gao » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:45 am

Platopus wrote:
Betty Gao wrote:Here is another thought: I am always told by my family that girls should not work so hard . I totally disagree with this and I am going to prove them wrong. That a girl should work hard to chase dream and create some values like man does. How about this...?
Nope, this is still too general. You might be able to turn it into a personal statement, but you need to make it about you, if you do. A personal statement should be about YOU, it's not the place where youl should be making generalized arguments.

Here are some starters:
Do you have a personal story about a hardship you have overcome?
What is a valuable lesson you have recently learned? What taught you this lesson?
Has some event caused you to change your world-view/perspective?
What makes you truly unique?
That's great! Thanks a lot!
So what about I tell a personal story to show my ability? I want to tell a story about how I had overcome an obstacle. Is that ok to not show why I am interest in law ?
Thank you again!!! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”