Advice, please? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ghklawschool

New

Advice, please?

Post by ghklawschool » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am

Hi,

Is it okay if the personal statement does not directly address my motivation to go to law school? I think the draft I have now demonstrates my personal qualities relevant/useful in a legal career, but I don't think I have enough space to explain how that relates to the reason why I want to go to a law school. I have seen a few personal statements online, one from the U Chicago website, that do not connect the personal experience to law school application, but I want to make sure this is commonly considered acceptable.

cavalier1138

Re: Advice, please?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:37 am

It's fine, but if the rest of your application would make an adcomm wonder why you're applying (e.g. if you were a kinesiology major and your resume shows five years of experience as a physical therapist), then you might want to integrate the "why law school" discussion in your PS.

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:18 pm

It depends on the rest of your application. If you're a hard science major with no experience in law/politics/government it would be a good idea to explain why law school makes sense for you. You just don't want them to wonder why someone in your situation would even be interested.
If you majored in anything common to law (political science, economics, philosophy, etc.) and law feels like a natural progression, I wouldn't worry about it. You don't have to justify going to law school and you don't have to convince them you want to (they know you do from the fact you've taken the LSAT, filled out applications, etc).

ghklawschool

New

Post by ghklawschool » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Thank you both! Yes, I majored in something common to law students. I don't have any work experience directly relevant to legal practices, but I did study international relations for master's, have international background, and hope to study international law. I guess I don't really need explanation, then.... so it's time for me to stop browsing and focus on finishing the essay. Thanks again!!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:57 pm

I actually have a different opinion than the other posters, OP. If the reason you're going to law school isn't apparent from the essay, in combination with the rest of your application, and isn't compelling, you're undermining yourself.

Share a draft if/when you feel comfortable doing so. Happy to read via PM.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BellaHamilton

New

Post by BellaHamilton » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:02 pm

I think that you have to add a few words about our explanations why you want to study this course (international law, as you've mentioned) and then connect it with your previous study and experience in the international relationships and future plan to work in international law. Maybe it`s the more correctly as you say about your motivations and explanations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”