is it appropriate to use a footnote in a PS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
WutSheOrder

New

is it appropriate to use a footnote in a PS?

Post by WutSheOrder » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:57 pm

It wouldn't be a citation, just a little background info that would be a bit long to be put into parenthesis. Thoughts?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: is it appropriate to use a footnote in a PS?

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:59 pm

If you need to footnote something, you probably should take it out.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:17 pm

no.

Jjbb938483

New

Post by Jjbb938483 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 pm

I've never seen one before. If you need a footnote to make something seem relevant or to provide context, just work that information into the body of the PS if you can. Otherwise, leave it out.

Also, I'm not sure what the information is but remember that your PS is not standing alone. Sometimes the context you try to provide is somewhere else, such as in a CV, addendum, DS, etc.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Post by BulletTooth » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:49 pm

I helped a friend write a PS, and I ended up editing it such that it had a footnote in it. The PS talked about his experience as an educator and a youtube channel that he created, which had a number of subscribers. We ended up putting the url in a footnote. I wouldn't recommend putting any sort of substantive text in a footnote, however. Probably doesn't belong in the PS if you think it should go in a footnote.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 am

BulletTooth wrote:I helped a friend write a PS, and I ended up editing it such that it had a footnote in it. The PS talked about his experience as an educator and a youtube channel that he created, which had a number of subscribers. We ended up putting the url in a footnote. I wouldn't recommend putting any sort of substantive text in a footnote, however. Probably doesn't belong in the PS if you think it should go in a footnote.
This seeems acceptable. But even so, I think the better course would be to include a bitly link on your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”