Help! Diversity Statement or Nah? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
frenchlavender

New

Help! Diversity Statement or Nah?

Post by frenchlavender » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

I'm an immigrant and I want to be an immigration lawyer so I want to highlight that part of my life. Not sure yet if I should use it as a personal statement or a diversity statement..

I know schools love diversity, so should I use it as a diversity statement? Not sure if they actually care and how much impact it is if I send 2 essays. One reason why I was considering using this as a PS is so that I don't have to write another essay. If I were to use this as a DS, I would probably talk about my job in the nonprofit sector as a personal statement. What do you guys think? All inputs are welcome!!!!!!! kthnxbye.

cavalier1138

Re: Help! Diversity Statement or Nah?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:26 am

I think it works as either, but if you're a white, French immigrant (just a shot in the dark...) be very wary of overplaying the diversity angle.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:34 am

cavalier1138 wrote:I think it works as either, but if you're a white, French immigrant (just a shot in the dark...) be very wary of overplaying the diversity angle.
I'm Filipino, does that make any difference? Lol

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:38 am

frenchlavender wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I think it works as either, but if you're a white, French immigrant (just a shot in the dark...) be very wary of overplaying the diversity angle.
Yes, it does. I'd definitely have a diversity statement, which should focus on your experiences more than your career goals.

frenchlavender

New

Post by frenchlavender » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:44 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
frenchlavender wrote:
Yes, it does. I'd definitely have a diversity statement, which should focus on your experiences more than your career goals.
Got it! Thanks!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”