Does it matter if PS doesn't answer "why law?" Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Does it matter if PS doesn't answer "why law?"

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:01 pm

I'm writing my PS and have some questions. Should you make it obvious why you want to go to law school or what makes you interested in law? I was planning on writing it on an experience (unrelated to law) that helped me overcome a problem/develop skills helpful for law but without really giving a reason why I'm actually interested in law school. My background is already in political science so it isn't like I'm coming from bio/chem/dance/music where law isn't a natural progression.

People seem to have different opinions so I wanted to see what everyone here thought. Some sources online say you should explicitly give a reason for attending law school and others say it doesn't matter unless your background is kind of random/unconventional. (Unless the school's prompt actually asks specifically about why law school)

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Does it matter if PS doesn't answer "why law?"

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:31 pm

No, it doesn't.

But if the rest of your application would lead an adcomm to ask why you're going to law school, then it may be worth a paragraph. It sounds like this isn't an issue for you, so I'd just go ahead with your current topic.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”