Does it look bad if I don't write why x essay but write only diversity statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
corgiterrier17

New

Does it look bad if I don't write why x essay but write only diversity statement?

Post by corgiterrier17 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 am

Duke and Penn offer both "why x" and diversity as their optional essay topics.
Does it look bad if I don't write why x essay but write only the diversity statement?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Does it look bad if I don't write why x essay but write only diversity statement?

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am

Duke is known for rejecting people who were auto admits numbers wise because they either didn't write a Why Duke or wrote a half-assed one. You need to write one.

cavalier1138

Re: Does it look bad if I don't write why x essay but write only diversity statement?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:55 am

sparkytrainer wrote:Duke is known for rejecting people who were auto admits numbers wise because they either didn't write a Why Duke or wrote a half-assed one. You need to write one.
As a counterpoint, I didn't write a "Why [X}" for Duke and had no trouble. I've never heard of Duke doing a lot of YP waitlisting.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:12 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:Duke is known for rejecting people who were auto admits numbers wise because they either didn't write a Why Duke or wrote a half-assed one. You need to write one.
As a counterpoint, I didn't write a "Why [X}" for Duke and had no trouble. I've never heard of Duke doing a lot of YP waitlisting.
If you go look at the past couple of years, it seems much more apparent Duke is doing YP based on whether you wrote a why Duke. Times might have changed since your app.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
That's an anecdote, which isn't particularly useful here.

Both YP to a degree, Penn more than Duke. If they're high on your list and you very much want them to be options, write Why Xs. If you're meh about them and don't think you can write a strong Why X, then don't bother.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:50 pm

dan9257 wrote:Duke and Penn offer both "why x" and diversity as their optional essay topics.
Does it look bad if I don't write why x essay but write only the diversity statement?
Where on the app are you seeing a why x for Penn?

corgiterrier17

New

Post by corgiterrier17 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:20 pm

hotdog96 wrote:
dan9257 wrote:Duke and Penn offer both "why x" and diversity as their optional essay topics.
Where on the app are you seeing a why x for Penn?
It's stated as one of the several optional topics listed in the app.

YinFireHare

New

Post by YinFireHare » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:28 pm

can someone please define what YP means.

so far I keep thinking "why pee"?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:34 pm

YinFireHare wrote:can someone please define what YP means.

"Yield Protection". It's when a school waitlists an applicant who would otherwise look like an auto-admit because the applicant didn't show enough interest in the school. It's been observed at a number of lower-T13 schools with applicants who likely have the numbers to get admitted to HYS/decent money at CCN. Waitlisting those applicants protects the school's application numbers, which in turn protects their USNWR ranking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YinFireHare

New

Post by YinFireHare » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
YinFireHare wrote:can someone please define what YP means.

"Yield Protection". It's when a school waitlists an applicant who would otherwise look like an auto-admit because the applicant didn't show enough interest in the school. It's been observed at a number of lower-T13 schools with applicants who likely have the numbers to get admitted to HYS/decent money at CCN. Waitlisting those applicants protects the school's application numbers, which in turn protects their USNWR ranking.
Thanks!

pointplace

New

Post by pointplace » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:09 pm

I was accepted with $$$ at both schools and did not write a why x essay and did write a diversity statement. 3.9, 168 K-JD non URM

Edit: Anecdotally, my only why x essay I wrote was for UVA and was waitlisted

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”