Should I write a diversity statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
OldSpeedoGuy

New

Should I write a diversity statement?

Post by OldSpeedoGuy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm

I'm a first generation student and I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to write a diversity (or some other) statement about it. I mention it in passing in my personal statement, but should I expand on it in another? Also I'm white.
Thanks.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Should I write a diversity statement?

Post by UVA2B » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:57 pm

If you think you can write a strong diversity statement, then you should write one. It doesn't have to be based on some traditional form of diversity. If you think there are things not stated in your personal statement that will help understand you as an applicant, it will help your application. If you're trying to force a diversity statement, then that'll show in the statement. Until you write it/define how you want your diversity statement to read, you can't entirely decide whether you should submit it.

OldSpeedoGuy

New

Post by OldSpeedoGuy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:36 pm

UVA2B wrote:If you think you can write a strong diversity statement, then you should write one. It doesn't have to be based on some traditional form of diversity. If you think there are things not stated in your personal statement that will help understand you as an applicant, it will help your application. If you're trying to force a diversity statement, then that'll show in the statement. Until you write it/define how you want your diversity statement to read, you can't entirely decide whether you should submit it.
I'm thinking something along the lines of:
I never saw my dad much growing up because he worked 80 hours a week so we could afford an education.
I had to be independent in figuring out what to do and how to make the most of university (I was also homeschooled through junior year of high school).
My grandfather didn't even graduate high school, and now he gets to see me go to a premier law school. I won't squander this blessing.
I think the independence, motivation, and perspective on life detached from academia would be useful to the law school culture.

I'm from Ohio, but most of my family is across the river in Kentucky.
It's not quite Hillbilly Elegy, but it feels relevant and I can't imagine there are many of us going to law school.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 pm

OldSpeedoGuy wrote:
UVA2B wrote:If you think you can write a strong diversity statement, then you should write one. It doesn't have to be based on some traditional form of diversity. If you think there are things not stated in your personal statement that will help understand you as an applicant, it will help your application. If you're trying to force a diversity statement, then that'll show in the statement. Until you write it/define how you want your diversity statement to read, you can't entirely decide whether you should submit it.
I never saw my dad much growing up because he worked 80 hours a week so we could afford an education.
I had to be independent in figuring out what to do and how to make the most of university (I was also homeschooled through junior year of high school).
My grandfather didn't even graduate high school, and now he gets to see me go to a premier law school. I won't squander this blessing.
I think the independence, motivation, and perspective on life detached from academia would be useful to the law school culture.

It's not quite Hillbilly Elegy, but it feels relevant and I can't imagine there are many of us going to law school.
Yes, you can write an interesting diversity statement. Write it, and bring it back to those of us who are willing to help you maximize its impact.

OldSpeedoGuy

New

Post by OldSpeedoGuy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 pm

UVA2B wrote:
OldSpeedoGuy wrote:

Yes, you can write an interesting diversity statement. Write it, and bring it back to those of us who are willing to help you maximize its impact.

Will do.
Thanks for the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”