I need help deciding personal statement topic. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
RP2015

New

I need help deciding personal statement topic.

Post by RP2015 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:14 pm

I am working on perfecting my law school application. I graduated undergrad 2 years ago with a 3.8 GPA in a health background, and have not yet taken the lsat. I am averaging around 165 on the practice exams with no studying. I just signed up for a class to hopefully get a higher score. I am trying to decide between two different topics to write my personal statement on. I was hoping one of you could help me out.

1. Business - I own a few successful businesses (I'm only 25). I was going to go into detail about how I got started, what all I got into and how it helped me realize that law was something I really wanted to do, instead of medicine as I was just brainwashed by my family to become a doctor hence the health undergrad degree.
2. Dogs - I have 2 dogs that fall under breed specific legislation and because of it I have had to fight a lot of legal battles to protect my babies who have done no wrong. That always helped me realize I would do very good in law school.

What should I talk about? Do you think they will think I am crazy for applying to law school when I already have a successful career as a business owner? Is it too much "bragging" if I mention my businesses/success? Or do you think they will be impressed by all that I have been able to accomplish so young? I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

EDIT: I am applying to a local city law school that is T3. Nothing fancy as I have to stay in my city due to business/family. Which, I forgot to mention I will be stepping down from my position Jan 2018 to be able to focus on law school 100%.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: I need help deciding personal statement topic.

Post by UVA2B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Realistically no one can tell you what the right topic is because it's a personal statement that only you know how you can best highlight your strengths. But some general advice as you get started:

1. The PS should highlight something about you that isn't seen elsewhere in your application. So if you're going to write about your businesses, use some anecdote that shows a positive personal quality (work ethic, perseverance, ingenuity, etc.) and really show those qualities without directly stating it.

2. You do not need to worry about whether admissions will think you're crazy for switching careers. First, there are plenty of people in law school coming in with impressive previous careers that decided to switch to law, and so long as your reasons are for your own positive personal reasons, that should shine through in your entire application.

3. The dog anecdote could be a good one, but again, see #1 before you consider how to approach that kind of personal topic. It could be a strong statement, but just make sure it is highlighting something positive about you and your future potential in the legal field.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: I need help deciding personal statement topic.

Post by UVA2B » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:23 pm

And since you're applying to a TTT in your local market, this really won't matter, because your numbers you're projecting will likely be a full ride as long as you write primarily in the same language and don't exhibit especially horrible qualities that would be outwardly deplorable like blatant racism or something like that.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”