Picture included? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Shvlmyway

New

Picture included?

Post by Shvlmyway » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Has anyone ever attached a photo to their personal statement that has to do with their topic of choice? Is this crazy/weird/possible? Thanks

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Picture included?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Don't do it.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 am

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 am

Did you know that in China, resumes include a picture of the job applicant? (Source: I looked at one Chinese person's resume one time). But you would never put your photo on your American resume.

I agree with the above two posters that this is probably not a good idea. I could probably come up with a crazy hypothetical where a picture of some type wouldn't completely sink your application, but that doesn't mean you should do it.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 am

In East Asia there's also an entire industry of CV photographers that do everything, including photoshop, needed to nail the photo section.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:19 am

Only if it's a headshot and you're Elle Woods: that seemed to work out okay for her. Otherwise, no.

Shvlmyway

New

Post by Shvlmyway » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks everyone!

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:27 am

lmao out of curiosity, what made you consider doing this? Is it because you're hot? Or is it because you're from Asia?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:33 am

Yugihoe wrote:lmao out of curiosity, what made you consider doing this? Is it because you're hot? Or is it because you're from Asia?
Not to troll, but I low-key imagined it being a cosplay-centered PS with a picture of their crew.

More likely it's like a picture of the OP at a humanitarian effort or some other thing that connects directly with their PS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:37 am

UVA2B wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:lmao out of curiosity, what made you consider doing this? Is it because you're hot? Or is it because you're from Asia?
Not to troll, but I low-key imagined it being a cosplay-centered PS with a picture of their crew.

More likely it's like a picture of the OP at a humanitarian effort or some other thing that connects directly with their PS.
I was personally hoping it was more of a success story/turned-life-around PS with an attached mugshot from the rock-bottom moment

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:41 am

there was once this photoshopped picture my high school yearbook staff made of me that looked like i was in a war zone. i would add that picture to a PS if i still had it to look alpha af

Shvlmyway

New

Post by Shvlmyway » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:04 am

UVA2B wrote:

Haha. Not Asian. Writing about someone close to me who died and was gonna include a pic of us. Guess it's not the best idea though.

Shvlmyway

New

Post by Shvlmyway » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:05 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

I was personally hoping it was more of a success story/turned-life-around PS with an attached mugshot from the rock-bottom moment
Should I include my mugshot too? It's a little old though and not a great photo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:06 am

Shvlmyway wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Haha. Not Asian. Writing about someone close to me who died and was gonna include a pic of us. Guess it's not the best idea though.
Gotcha. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it would more likely come off as emotionally manipulative and ineffectual. Let your words demonstrate the connection you had with them and the impact it had on you as a person. In this case, your words are worth more than a picture.

Shvlmyway

New

Post by Shvlmyway » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 am

UVA2B wrote:
Shvlmyway wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Gotcha. I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it would more likely come off as emotionally manipulative and ineffectual. Let your words demonstrate the connection you had with them and the impact it had on you as a person. In this case, your words are worth more than a picture.
Completely understand. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”