reapplying SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

reapplying SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 pm

[*]
Hey. I wrote a great personal statement this cycle but applied in February. I ended up waitlisted at top choices and if they don't pan out, I'm going to reapply next cycle. Do i need to rewrite my personal statement if I am reapplying?? I wrote the genuine reasons behind why I want to attend law school. Not sure how to rewrite that. Any feedback is appreciated!
Thanks!

Bulla

Bronze

Re: reapplying SOS SOS SOS SOS SOS

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Why is this SOS ? If you're reapplying again if you didn't get in this cycle ? Just improve it, you don't have to rewrite it, but improve it would be better.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Bulla wrote:Just improve it, you don't have to rewrite it, but improve it would be better.
This is incorrect. If you're reapplying to schools, you should have a different PS. This is pretty standard advice from everyone in admissions counseling.

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Bulla wrote:Just improve it, you don't have to rewrite it, but improve it would be better.
This is incorrect. If you're reapplying to schools, you should have a different PS. This is pretty standard advice from everyone in admissions counseling.
Always dial cavalier911 for advise. Would you prefer an applicant to make up a new story for a PS or stick with one which correlates truly for the reasons he wants to pursue a legal education.

OP: I would advise to improve your current PS and add more on it now that you have more time to shape it. But you're free to take anyone's advise.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 pm

I probably fall in between the above two pieces of advice (although I actually think Cav would agree with me on this and I think this might be what bulla is getting at in so many words). You don't need to come up with a whole new topic per se, and your PS can focus on the same themes that your previous PS did if it substantively captures something positive about you as an applicant, but you should try to take a new approach to the same topic that shows you're trying to improve on your PS since you were WLed the first time around. It may have been your late app that did you in this time around, but you should still show every effort to make improvements on your application to show you've tried to strengthen it.

So maybe try reimagining the theme in a new way, or somehow repurpose the theme, restructure it, rearrange it, or find another way to make it fresh and feel new. The ADCOM isn't going to be reading both of your PS in detail before making a decision, but if they compare the new one to the old one and it's an exact replica, they'll probably see that as lazy, which is not a good look, even if it means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”