What is an unimpressive topic? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

What is an unimpressive topic?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 am

My stats are 168,3.86. I was aiming for 173+ and failed in doing so in the June LSAT. The only viable option that I have for T6/T14 would be writing a good PS in case I do not get a higher score. Before retaking in September, I am hoping to finish my PS so that I could apply ASAP.

While I started writing my PS last year, I decided to start over since my initial topic was TOO dark.( also it was a “typical” dark story)

I know that overcoming struggle is always a safe topic. But would it be really unimpressive and boring for the AdComm to read a statement that talks about how I learned Mandarin?

Dang I thought LSAT was the hardest part in admission, but with my mediocre LSAT score, I really need to crush this PS. Thank you in advance!!!

BansheeScream

New

Re: What is an unimpressive topic?

Post by BansheeScream » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:22 am

First off, I think you have a good shot at the T/14 and an okay shot at the T/6 with your current numbers. HYS are out most likely.

The only way that you're going to able write a standout personal statements that is interesting enough to affect your chances of admission is to have done something standout and interesting. Learning mandarin is definitely impressive but I'd wager a good amount applicants speak a second language and I don't think that will set you apart.

I would play it safe with your personal statement if you don't have a crazy interesting back story. Write about why you want to be a lawyer and what strengths you've gained that will lead you to have a successful legal career. Make sure it's well written and free from grammatical mistakes. Basically just don't fuck up and you will have a fine cycle.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 am

Write something that resonates with you, but the PS will not add theoretical points to your LSAT/GPA.

As mentioned, you're in fine shape for the lower T13, but you should focus on retaking if you want HYSCCN to be in play (especially if you want CCN to be in play with money).

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:04 pm

0L, for what it's worth.

Why did you learn Mandarin? Have you visited/worked/schooled in China? Is your interest in Mandarin Chinese in any way related to what you want to do with law?

As a "This was difficult and I overcame X obstacles to achieve this" essay, it's a little blah. But if you have ties to the Chinese American community or sights set on doing international law, it could add an experiential element.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I firmly believe that if you write well, any topic can be interesting. I went to school for journalism, and sometimes when I had to profile the most average people, I ended up with my best stories.

If you make your PS an interesting narrative about your personal development, the fact that it's about learning Mandarin will not matter. The best writing is something that people can resonate with, and everyone can resonate with facing a difficult challenge, overcoming it, and learning something about yourself in the process.

I'll give you an example of the point I'm getting at. Everyone loves the show Stranger Things, myself included. I do not like sci-fi, and if someone explained the plot of Stranger Things to me, I would say it's dumb and I don't want to watch. The characters and their development and personal relationships are what make that show great for me. I don't care about little kids saving the town from a monster from another dimension, but I can get attached to the lonely outsider, or the nerdy kid, or Barb. Love Barb.

So, since I've already gone on too long about this, all I'm saying is you don't have to have some spectacular story about you saving the world, you just have to write about you.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:17 pm

I agree with the above - you don't have to have an extraordinary story to write an extraordinary PS. Your approach to the topic is important, and how you frame the experience is perhaps most important. For example, if I told you my PS was about my study abroad, that might come across as a bland, overdone topic (it is). But I chose to frame that experience with a story about learning to ride a bike for the first time at 21 in a foreign country and how that experience impacted me (in particular what it taught me about other's expectations of me and that doing things "out of order" is perfectly ok). I can PM you the statement if you like, but the point is don't get hung up on trying to think of the "most interesting" experience you've ever had. Think of a sincerely impactful experience and write about it honestly and compellingly. Easier said than done perhaps, but that's my advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”