Personal Statement I am fond of Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ms9

Gold

Personal Statement I am fond of

Post by ms9 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:41 pm

This person punched well above their numbers too. A PS alone doesn't do that, but I certainly can help.

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/anothe ... t-example/

Npret

Gold

Re: Personal Statement I am fond of

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Well, thanks, now I'm traumatized about Jazzy too.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Yeah, real downer of an ending.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:12 pm

Npret wrote:Well, thanks, now I'm traumatized about Jazzy too.
SRSLY.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:19 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
SRSLY.
Only way to make it better is to ADMIT!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Mike, your a busy man who gets paid to give this advice, but what do you think makes this a particularly strong PS? I see on your blog you mention the importance of writing a differentiated statement about yourself instead of writing what you think the admissions committee wants to read, but what's the line where it goes too far? I enjoyed the PS, but I'm not entirely certainly I understand her motivations for attending law school, or even more broadly, how this story really differentiates the applicant. Am I totally missing your point here? Is the point that a strong PS doesn't necessarily need to cater to these things? Is a strongly written, humanizing story that makes you seem like a person and not a number enough?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:42 pm

Platopus wrote:Mike, your a busy man who gets paid to give this advice, but what do you think makes this a particularly strong PS? I see on your blog you mention the importance of writing a differentiated statement about yourself instead of writing what you think the admissions committee wants to read, but what's the line where it goes too far? I enjoyed the PS, but I'm not entirely certainly I understand her motivations for attending law school, or even more broadly, how this story really differentiates the applicant. Am I totally missing your point here? Is the point that a strong PS doesn't necessarily need to cater to these things? Is a strongly written, humanizing story that makes you seem like a person and not a number enough?
Hey Platypus, you answered your own question. Think about it not from your perspective -- someone writing their one and only personal statement -- but from that of an admissions officer, reading these during travel season for the 15th straight year on an airplane as they jet from one forum to another. And all they see, time after time, page after page, is "why I want to go to law school"..."why I am so great" in the most overwrought, bloviating and bumptious terms (words people use in THEIR personal statements).

This was such a breath of fresh air for someone who has read all of the above so many applications in a row. It showed confidence in the ability to write such a story, let the reader make their own conclusions versus having them shoved down their throat, etc. I could go on. At the end of the day the vast majority of applicants write their PS for the wrong audience. If you write it for yourself and stop trying to overly impress good things happen.

I get that not mentioning Why Law or talking about your pet cat at 12 years old is a nuanced endeavor. But I'm kinda glad it is :) I hope that helps!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Platopus wrote:Is a strongly written, humanizing story that makes you seem like a person and not a number enough?
Obviously not an expert but it seems way harder than enough.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
SRSLY.
Only way to make it better is to ADMIT!
But we aren't admission officers. So no way to make it better.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 pm

Now here are 5. I got the sense some people wanted more gravitas in a few samples, that's here too:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/all-sa ... tatements/

I hope this helps in any small way. -Mike

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”