Post deleted. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Rednala

New

Post deleted.

Post by Rednala » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Last edited by Rednala on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MadamSecretary

New

Re: GPA Addendum concerns

Post by MadamSecretary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:46 pm

It's all dependent on your LSAT

Rednala

New

Post by Rednala » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Last edited by Rednala on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:52 pm

The fact that you've divided it into three sections already seems too long for a GPA addendum. If you're not comfortable addressing the real reasons for the difference in performance, just briefly address the discomfort-in-a-new-setting angle.

But yeah, just crush the LSAT and don't overthink the addendum. The addendum will have little to no impact on your application.

Rednala

New

Post by Rednala » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Last edited by Rednala on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:37 pm

If an adcomm has to choose between you and someone else with similar or the same gpa/lsat, the significant downward trend will hurt your chances without an explanation. So definitely include an addendum. Never let adcomms make any negative assumptions about you.

Personally, I don't think the "I didn't feel comfortable in a private college because I was a student of color from a low-middle class background" angle is a good idea. It may raise concerns about whether you will feel comfortable in a law school environment, which arguably may have more reasons to cause "discomfort" than a private college environment.

Your issues dealing with an abusive relationship are, to me, a more justifiable reason for your downward trend than the "discomfort" angle, especially because it's an issue that you can assure them is in the past and not an issue anymore, nor will it be in the future. You can't really provide evidence to assure them of that with the "discomfort in a private school environment" issue. If you're comfortable talking about it, I think mentioning the abusive relationship and how it affected your gpa is a better idea.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 am

cavalier1138 wrote:The fact that you've divided it into three sections already seems too long for a GPA addendum. If you're not comfortable addressing the real reasons for the difference in performance, just briefly address the discomfort-in-a-new-setting angle.

But yeah, just crush the LSAT and don't overthink the addendum. The addendum will have little to no impact on your application.
This. You lost me at " the second part of my addendum..."

If you want advice on your addendum, I suggest posting it in the PS help thread.
I am happy to critique it if you want to pm me.

Hint: The general rule is, if it's more than a paragraph, it's too long.

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

B90 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:The fact that you've divided it into three sections already seems too long for a GPA addendum. If you're not comfortable addressing the real reasons for the difference in performance, just briefly address the discomfort-in-a-new-setting angle.

This. You lost me at " the second part of my addendum..."

If you want advice on your addendum, I suggest posting it in the PS help thread.
I am happy to critique it if you want to pm me.

Hint: The general rule is, if it's more than a paragraph, it's too long.
Mine was a page and that seemed to be fine. Then again, I don't know what went on in the adcomm's heads when they were reading my app. It didn't seem to hurt me at least. I just felt a paragraph wasn't adequate enough for me to explain my situation.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:03 pm

lawlzzz wrote:Mine was a page and that seemed to be fine. Then again, I don't know what went on in the adcomm's heads when they were reading my app. It didn't seem to hurt me at least. I just felt a paragraph wasn't adequate enough for me to explain my situation.
And presumably after taking Legal Writing, you now know better. No one's reason for having a low GPA for a few semesters in college is actually that complicated. And since the OP's LSAC-calculated GPA isn't destroy-your-chances terrible, I doubt the addendum will have much impact.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lawlzzz wrote:Mine was a page and that seemed to be fine. Then again, I don't know what went on in the adcomm's heads when they were reading my app. It didn't seem to hurt me at least. I just felt a paragraph wasn't adequate enough for me to explain my situation.
And presumably after taking Legal Writing, you now know better. No one's reason for having a low GPA for a few semesters in college is actually that complicated. And since the OP's LSAC-calculated GPA isn't destroy-your-chances terrible, I doubt the addendum will have much impact.
No, after getting an A in legal writing, I don't regret sending in that page-long addendum. :mrgreen: Though, you're right. I forgot OP actually has a good gpa.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:18 pm

lawlzzz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
No, after getting an A in legal writing, I don't regret sending in that page-long addendum. :mrgreen: Though, you're right. I forgot OP actually has a good gpa.
Yes, but can you read? I said "general rule" If you think general rule = absolute requirement, may God have mercy on your soul when you try to navigate "may" v. "shall"
And may God have mercy on my soul if you are ever my opposing counsel arguing "should" v. "must"

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:37 pm

B90 wrote:
lawlzzz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Yes, but can you read? I said "general rule" If you think general rule = absolute requirement, may God have mercy on your soul when you try to navigate "may" v. "shall"
And may God have mercy on my soul if you are ever my opposing counsel arguing "should" v. "must"
Yes, I can read. (Damn, what's with all the snarkiness. Lol.) I saw that you said that. Can YOU read? My post was clearly about MY situation. I just wanted to expand on your comment by giving my situation as an example of how it is indeed a general rule. Now, y'all need to chill. Haha! But go ahead and keep trying to snark at me if it makes you feel superior and better about yourselves.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Welcome to tls. We will give you advice, but it will be laced with sarcasm.
If you prefer your advice sarcasm-free, kindly state your request before ordering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

B90 wrote:Welcome to tls. We will give you advice, but it will be laced with sarcasm.
If you prefer your advice sarcasm-free, kindly state your request before ordering.
I guess I missed the fine print before ordering. Should've known better. :mrgreen:

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:55 pm

lawlzzz wrote:
B90 wrote:Welcome to tls. We will give you advice, but it will be laced with sarcasm.
I guess I missed the fine print before ordering. Should've known better. :mrgreen:
Easy there, let's not be hasty. If everyone starts reading fine print, my career is over...

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Rednala wrote: The second portion talks about my last two years in a private college as a student of color coming from low-middle class household. Aside from not feeling confortable on campus, I was also working around 30 hours in one job and around 10 in another a week.
"By my own admission, I was unable to function in an academic environment due to aspects of myself that can not change. Please give me entry into your academic environment..."

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:29 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rednala

New

Post by Rednala » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Last edited by Rednala on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Rednala wrote:Sorry for taking so long to come back here, I have limited wifi. This was extremely helpful so thank you all for contributing. And the snarkiness was, well, amusing at the very least.

For some reason, i was under the impression that the addendum was typically the same length as the PS or DS. In light of this new info, I'll be starting over. Also, I agree that I need to go with the real reason why my grades suffered.
Understandable but incorrect. Adcoms expect addenda to be a paragraph. The length of that paragraph will vary depending on the circumstances.
Think about this way, adcoms do not bill by the hour. Given that, do you think an adcom would rather spend 60 seconds or ten minutes reading your submission?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”