Timeshare Salesperson - bad to highlight it? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
thrwwy

New

Timeshare Salesperson - bad to highlight it?

Post by thrwwy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:42 pm

My job as a timeshare salesperson has created a couple interesting possible PS topics: the impact of being paid by commission on work ethic and personal responsibility, the importance of conviction in any job, being a licensed real estate agent and the interest in real estate law that this has kindled. On the other hand, people tend to have a very low opinion of timeshare salespeople, which is a little worrying.

Is this a worthwhile direction to go in with my PS, or would it be a mistake?

34iplaw

Gold

Re: Timeshare Salesperson - bad to highlight it?

Post by 34iplaw » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I think it depends how you frame it. I think being a capable salesperson is always a plus, and I doubt adcomms are going to assume you're an unscrupulous monster just because you work in an industry that has negative stereotypes. That said, the general topic sounds kind of boring, and that's coming from someone who had to write papers on real estate finance and how brokers fees fail to properly align brokers interests with those they represent.

I guess it depends how you frame it, but my hesitation is with the topic rather than what adcomms may assume about you.

emmbeegee

New

Post by emmbeegee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:28 pm

It all depends on how you write the actual statement. If it is a flat, bland recitation of "salesman qualities that will make me a good lawyer," then yeah, it will be boring -- but that's a risk with almost any topic. If you have a strong authorial voice and can weave the qualities that you mentioned in your post into a memorable narrative, you could be golden. If I were in your shoes, I might even begin with a nod to the stereotypes/negative perceptions of salesmen and how you see yourself as occupying a different space in the field... might be cheesy, idk. I'm sort of mapping it out in my head right now, and it could be fun.

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 pm

You can frame almost anything positively, especially this. Timeshare sales might not be highly regarded or glamorous or attractive, but that's a real-world job that real people do, and that's what makes this a positive thing. You've done it and gained serious real-life experience working a regular man's job. You weren't handed some made up position after UG by your parents or connections, you went out and took care of yourself by taking a tough job with a serious demand for productivity. I'm sure there are people in admissions who can appreciate that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”