Purchase Personal Statement / Pay for Editing Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Squirm

New

Purchase Personal Statement / Pay for Editing

Post by Squirm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 pm

What is everyone's thoughts on purchasing a personal statement or at least paying for editing? The options seem quite expensive- is this common practice or at least enough people out there doing it? I am interested to hear experiences and if people thought there was enough value to go this route.

Thanks!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Purchase Personal Statement / Pay for Editing

Post by UVA2B » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Don't do it. Write something that is genuinely you. Ask friends/family you trust in editing it. Post it here for anonymous feedback if you'd like. End there.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Don't. If you purchase a personal statement you're essentially lying on your app, which could make passing the bar pretty tough if anyone ever found out. I and others here are glad to help you edit a personal statement, but write it yourself.

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 pm

If you can't be bothered to write your own 2-4 page personal statement how do you expect to make it through law school and a subsequent career involving writing? Seriously write your own essays. Once you have done that, there are plenty of free options for editing. Including the multitude of TLS users who would be happy to give feedback.

This thread is depressing

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 am

Don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Halloween

New

Post by Halloween » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Such services charge anywhere from $75 - $200 for revisions or entire creation of a personal statement. This isn't just one website- that seems to be the standard going rate. These companies are staffed full of reputable editors too, not just 1 or 2 writers. As much as people won't want to admit it, I am guessing there is a sustainable market and people are paying the money. The growing importance of the PS probably contributes as well.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:26 pm

Halloween wrote:Such services charge anywhere from $75 - $200 for revisions or entire creation of a personal statement. This isn't just one website- that seems to be the standard going rate. These companies are staffed full of reputable editors too, not just 1 or 2 writers. As much as people won't want to admit it, I am guessing there is a sustainable market and people are paying the money. The growing importance of the PS probably contributes as well.
This is dumb. A purchased PS will never be better than a thoughtfully completed PS written by you. And lol at paying for editing when there is a literal wealth of people here who will do it for free who have written PS to get into pretty much every law school in the country.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Halloween wrote:Such services charge anywhere from $75 - $200 for revisions or entire creation of a personal statement. This isn't just one website- that seems to be the standard going rate. These companies are staffed full of reputable editors too, not just 1 or 2 writers. As much as people won't want to admit it, I am guessing there is a sustainable market and people are paying the money. The growing importance of the PS probably contributes as well.
This is dumb. A purchased PS will never be better than a thoughtfully completed PS written by you. And lol at paying for editing when there is a literal wealth of people here who will do it for free who have written PS to get into pretty much every law school in the country.
Seriously. I think that some here may be trying to rationalize thier desire not to write a PS.

Just sit down and do it guys. I wrote what I consider I pretty mediocre PS and my cycle is pretty much exactly what I'd expect given my numbers. It isn't worth losing the money, and it DEFINITELY isn't worth the risk of getting caught.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 pm

UVA2B wrote:
+1. The fact that prospective law students are throwing their money at something doesn't mean that it's good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Purchasing a Personal Statement is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of in the 12 or so years I have been on this site.

Best case scenario is it is a completely valueless endeavor that in no way differentiates you, creates a brand for you, compliments other elements of your application, or has any strategic element to it. I can't think of anyone with admissions experience doing this for you -- I really hope not -- so the person who is doing it is simply a writer throwing darts at a board about anything law admissions strategy. 19 out of 20 Personal Statements are at least "ok" in the writing, where they fall down is the topic matter. Whoever would write this would have no idea who to help you come up with a topic (operative word "personal) and thus would likely fail here, too.

Worst case scenario the writing would be so different from your LSAT sample, other aspects of your application, etc you would be investigated and ultimately banned from law school.

So I wouldn't go that route. Actually I would delete your account so that admissions deans, over time, can't figure out who you are and auto ding you from their schools.

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:37 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:delete your account.
FTFY

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:26 pm

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Squirm wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on purchasing a personal statement or at least paying for editing? The options seem quite expensive- is this common practice or at least enough people out there doing it? I am interested to hear experiences and if people thought there was enough value to go this route.

Thanks!
Are you trolling? Why would you even ask that? You're openly asking about plagarizing...jesus christ.

URMSenator52

New

Post by URMSenator52 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Lol are you going to "squirm" like the maggot you are from the auto ding,because of academic plagiarizing?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”