Should I submit a GPA addendum (post-app submission)? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Should I submit a GPA addendum (post-app submission)?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I didn't really want to before because ultimately, the reason for the GPA issue is mental health, then I looked at my transcript and realized that my junior year actually was pretty bad (It was around a 3.0 for the year), the year before I had around a 3.5 (for the year). As I'm sure you guys know, a 3.0 junior year is basically a GPA killer because there's not enough time to get enough As to bring it back up. Is it worth submitting an addendum explaining what happened that year that had my GPA so low? I also had a personal issue that happened senior year that kind of threw me off, but I don't think it's something that I'm comfortable mentioning in any more detail than I just said right now. I'm just not really sure if GPA addenda matter at all because, either way, my GPA is below people's 25th.

sethnoorzad

New

Re: Should I submit a GPA addendum (post-app submission)?

Post by sethnoorzad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Just my $0.02 but if you don't want to discuss the particular issue in your addendum then it probably won't help your case. It will just leave the ad officer wondering whether you have a problem that looks so bad you don't want to disclose what it is.

Think about whether disclosing the issue will make the person reading your app more forgiving to your situation. You don't have to go into too much detail. Just matter of fact explanation of what happened and how you've taken steps to resolve the issue.

GL

Anonymous User

Re: Should I submit a GPA addendum (post-app submission)?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm

OP here: In case I was unclear, there's actually two issues that I've considered explaining.

One issue is the mental health stuff, I'm not really sure how ppl view that. Unfortunately, I still worry it'll be stigmatized. Basically I have a mood disorder that kind of changed my junior year into a different mood disorder so I was learning how to deal with it and was also stuck with a really bad case of insomnia that I couldn't get rid of. Since I'm anonymous, I guess I might as well say that the second issue my senior year was a possible miscarriage (I say possible because I was always too nervous to take the test but had missed my period a couple months in a row and then had some really bad bleeding unlike anything I'd ever experienced before). Don't really think I want to go into detail about it because, like mental health stuff, am worried that it can be spun into a "Clearly she was reckless/irresponsible" thing but it was definitely something that threw me off. I also had mono for like a month and a half that year.... Geez, 2016 was trash.

My initial thought was it was too risky to discuss and I still kind of feel that way, but I also feel like that 3.0 on my transcript kind of jumps off the page like "I wonder what happened here, she JUST had a 3.5"

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”