Schizophrenia GPA addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
witorres89

New

Schizophrenia GPA addendum

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 am

I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia my senior year of college. Looking back it greatly affected my ability to preform well in my courses as an underclassman. I was wonder weather or not to even mention the condition at all as there may still be a stigma. Anyone have any feedback?

Teoeo

Silver

Re: Schizophrenia GPA addendum

Post by Teoeo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:07 am

Personally I would stay away from that, huge stigma IMO.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:09 am

Addenda should be used to address something that happened in the past and affected performance and will no longer be a factor during law school. I would leave it out unless you've received significant treatment.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:11 am

witorres89 wrote:I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia my senior year of college. Looking back it greatly affected my ability to preform well in my courses as an underclassman. I was wonder weather or not to even mention the condition at all as there may still be a stigma. Anyone have any feedback?

Please don't take this the wrong way because I don't mean to be unsympathetic in any way, but have you looked into how having Schizophrenia will affect the C&F assessment for bar passage in your state? I know in Texas they ask about this type of thing....

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:15 am

I would check with C&F if you can be a lawyer w/ schizophrenia before paying for law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 am

thegor1987 wrote:I would check with C&F if you can be a lawyer w/ schizophrenia before paying for law school.
I hadn't even considered this. Where would I look to find more information about whether or not I am even eligible for the bar?

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:24 am

I would avoid this topic because it will adversely affect your chances of admission. I realize how unfair this might sound - given that law schools often pretend to embrace things like diversity - but the truth is that adcomm's really only care about diversity in the political sense, when it suits their purposes. Overcoming a condition like shizophrenia is an amazing accomplishment, but this will not be reflected in the outcome of your application cycle.

(And by "overcoming" I mean treating your schizophrenia and excelling in spite of it.)

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 am

witorres89 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:I would check with C&F if you can be a lawyer w/ schizophrenia before paying for law school.
I hadn't even considered this. Where would I look to find more information about whether or not I am even eligible for the bar?
Just google it, each state has a C&F with informational pamphlets for this sort of thing. Otherwise you can find a number to call. If the condition is sufficiently treatable you may be allowed. Plus some states may be more lenient than others. So research multiple states to see where it will be a problem

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:33 am

The idea just screams columbine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:33 am

But to address your question, don't mention it unless you have excelled in life despite your condition.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:33 am

witorres89 wrote:
Contact the Bar in the State where you intend to practice as they are all different, as them for the name of the organization that administers the C&F... in Texas it's called the Board of Legal Examiners.... If they have a website, you may be able to review the applications online and see exactly what the questions ask. But I would suggest calling them and asking... you don't have to give your name.

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:48 am

2Serious4Numbers wrote:The idea just screams columbine.
The idea of mentioning it? They didn't have schizophrenia, but your comment does highlight the continued stigma.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 am

Very, very unacceptable and disrespectful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:51 am

Get lost.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:58 am

witorres89 wrote:I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia my senior year of college. Looking back it greatly affected my ability to preform well in my courses as an underclassman. I was wonder weather or not to even mention the condition at all as there may still be a stigma. Anyone have any feedback?
OP, how long has it been since you were diagnosed? Are you officially healthy now, still receiving treatment, etc.? This is something with very serious repercussions, as others have mentioned, for your ability to pass the bar. It's not impossible, but the situation could be greatly different depending on how well you're doing now and how long you've been that way.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 am

According to the GA C&F:

D. Evidence of mental or emotional instability:
Evidence of mental or emotional instability, like evidence of chemical dependency, is one of
the factors about which the Fitness Board must inquire. Board members recognize that the
stresses of law school, as well as other life factors, frequently result in applicants seeking
psychiatric or psychological counseling. The Board encourages any applicant to obtain such
counseling or treatment if potential benefits might accrue. The applicant should not allow his
or her future bar application to color that decision. Only severe forms of mental or emotional
problems will trigger an in-depth investigation or have an impact on bar admission decisions.
Isolated instances of consultation for conditions associated with emotional stress will not be
of serious concern to the Board. The Board has the option of requiring an applicant to obtain
an independent medical evaluation from a licensed psychiatrist recommended by the Board.

Edit: If you were diagnosed,and didn't just seek counseling, it would probably raise a major red flag.

iceskater1620

New

Post by iceskater1620 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 am

eraewr
Last edited by iceskater1620 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:07 am

vanwinkle wrote:
OP, how long has it been since you were diagnosed? Are you officially healthy now, still receiving treatment, etc.? This is something with very serious repercussions, as others have mentioned, for your ability to pass the bar. It's not impossible, but the situation could be greatly different depending on how well you're doing now and how long you've been that way.
I was hospitalized and diagnosed this September. With continuing therapy and medication I have been symptom free since.

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:08 am

JaLeCa wrote:According to the GA C&F:

D. Evidence of mental or emotional instability:
Evidence of mental or emotional instability, like evidence of chemical dependency, is one of
the factors about which the Fitness Board must inquire. Board members recognize that the
stresses of law school, as well as other life factors, frequently result in applicants seeking
psychiatric or psychological counseling. The Board encourages any applicant to obtain such
counseling or treatment if potential benefits might accrue. The applicant should not allow his
or her future bar application to color that decision. Only severe forms of mental or emotional
problems will trigger an in-depth investigation or have an impact on bar admission decisions.
Isolated instances of consultation for conditions associated with emotional stress will not be
of serious concern to the Board. The Board has the option of requiring an applicant to obtain
an independent medical evaluation from a licensed psychiatrist recommended by the Board.

Edit: If you were diagnosed,and didn't just seek counseling, it would probably raise a major red flag.
thanks for the info

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:12 am

If you continue to keep it under control you will likely be able to become a lawyer, however I am sure C&F is will make your life very hard in the process

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:16 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:
Very, very unacceptable and disrespectful.
child please.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 am

thegor1987 wrote:If you continue to keep it under control you will likely be able to become a lawyer, however I am sure C&F is will make your life very hard in the process
This may or may not be true depending on the state, so definitely check with the Bar (anonymously).... But I still wouldn't write the addendum either way... I wouldn't volunteer this information until it is specifically asked given the possible ramifications.

user08132021

Bronze

Post by user08132021 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 am

I am reading a sample C&F for Virginia for my own education, and they ask have you been diagnosed, but it specifies in the past 5 years. Call the Bar and ask.

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:38 am

JaLeCa wrote:I am reading a sample C&F for Virginia for my own education, and they ask have you been diagnosed, but it specifies in the past 5 years. Call the Bar and ask.
Thanks again, maybe I should delay law school and strengthen my application with work experiance.

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:45 am

witorres89 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:I am reading a sample C&F for Virginia for my own education, and they ask have you been diagnosed, but it specifies in the past 5 years. Call the Bar and ask.
Thanks again, maybe I should delay law school and strengthen my application with work experiance.
Never a bad idea ITE.

Also, even if you're allowed to attend the school and practice law, you gotta ask yourself if you'll be healthy enough for the rigors that the two entail. I have read that schizophrenia can be very difficult to deal with and that the treatment of it is very demanding.

Ignore to the comments of insensitive, insecure idiots on online forums.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best. Good luck and persevere.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”