Is this a big mistake that might hurt me? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Sourpunch

Bronze

Is this a big mistake that might hurt me?

Post by Sourpunch » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:03 pm

I wrote my personal statement in Callibri font size 11. Freaking MS Word, the new one, it wasn't on Arial by default.

The difference is exactly like 3 or 4 lines from using Arial 12. Will law schools notice? Am I fucked?

Sourpunch

Bronze

Re: Is this a big mistake that might hurt me?

Post by Sourpunch » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:07 pm

The font looks EXACTLY like Arial its just slightly smaller. I mean basically putting it at Arial 12 would turn it into 2.25 pages instead of 2. Gah I hope this will be okay, I have a strong personal statement as well as a good application package..no idea how I overlooked this but Vista is a confusing bitch...

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Okay, really, it's not going to matter.

Sourpunch

Bronze

Post by Sourpunch » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Man I hope so:( Worked hard for my LSAT etc... and would murder myself if I ruined it all by selecting 11 instead of 12..lol.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:28 pm

...your main concern should not be the font you chose for your PS, but your stress level. if you keep worrying like this for the rest of your life you will have a heart attack. repeat after me: fuck it, its fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

driveshaft

New

Post by driveshaft » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:55 pm

rw2264 wrote:...your main concern should not be the font you chose for your PS, but your stress level. if you keep worrying like this for the rest of your life you will have a heart attack. repeat after me: fuck it, its fine.
This. Also, I submitted my PS in 11 point Arial and am 5/5 at T14 schools so far.

Sourpunch

Bronze

Post by Sourpunch » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Haha thanks guys. I just don't want to have nothing to do with my life. Need to get into one of these schools. And I'm banking a lot on getting into UCLA and USC...financially this would be an incredible option for me...either one of course.

(So much so that I would honestly pick UCLA over Cornell/Georgetown and would honestly consider doing the same for USC).

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:15 pm

rw2264 wrote:...your main concern should not be the font you chose for your PS, but your stress level. if you keep worrying like this for the rest of your life you will have a heart attack. repeat after me: fuck it, it's fine.
+1

That'd be a good bumpersticker (with my slight edit and maybe a semicolon? diana hacker, where are you when i need you?).

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 pm

Sourpunch wrote:Haha thanks guys. I just don't want to have nothing to do with my life. Need to get into one of these schools. And I'm banking a lot on getting into UCLA and USC...financially this would be an incredible option for me...either one of course.

(So much so that I would honestly pick UCLA over Cornell/Georgetown and would honestly consider doing the same for USC).
if the school wants you, this will not affect anything whatsoever

plenty of ppl had typos, over the limit PS's, etc. and still got into their target school (but their numbers were good)

if you are very borderline or subpar on the numbers, it'd be something id worry about a tad more, but if not, erase it from your concerns

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I have heard of a CIV PRO professor docking a student a 1/3 of a letter grade for not using the correct font when the instructions clearly said TIME NEW ROMAN SIZE 12 FONT. Her point was the civil procedure is about the rules and in the rule world, if you can't follow the courts rules, your claim often will not even make it in the door!

In your situation, don't sweat it ...

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Many schools don't even specify font. Those that do tend to explicitly allow various fonts (usually TNR and Arial at the least) and various sizes (10-12, usually). Since Calibri 11 is between Arial 11 and Arial 12, and since they'll only see it in PDF and printed format, they won't care.

I agree on the hating of Word 2007 for changing the default fonts. WTF, Microsoft?

Credit

New

Post by Credit » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:06 pm

driveshaft wrote:
rw2264 wrote:...your main concern should not be the font you chose for your PS, but your stress level. if you keep worrying like this for the rest of your life you will have a heart attack. repeat after me: fuck it, its fine.
This. Also, I submitted my PS in 11 point Arial and am 5/5 at T14 schools so far.
I think with your numbers it would have taken a pretty big mistake to make them even think about rejecting you. P.S. Congrats, that's awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”