giving two weeks notice... Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
big Game

New

Re: giving two weeks notice...

Post by big Game » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:52 pm

ari20dal7 wrote:I think you owe two weeks and nothing more unless you're a serious player at your workplace - and serious player means at least six figures, not "but I'm indispensible!".

If they were firing you, would they give you six months to get a successor job in place?
I dont know what I am going to do. I still haven't given my two weeks. I plan on going on a cruise right before school starts and my employer knows about the cruise but doesn't know about the whole law school thing. I am thinking I will just call them after the cruise and say I have had some family emergency and I won't be able to make it back. What do you think?
Man up and quit. Tell them you've been looking into pursuing your education, and feel that this would be the best direction for you. Offer to stay late, finish projects, help interview replacements, whatever, but you owe them nothing more than that.
Well, I have only been here for 2 months. I don't think it will be that big of deal. I just need to tell them.

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 pm

big Game wrote:
ari20dal7 wrote:I think you owe two weeks and nothing more unless you're a serious player at your workplace - and serious player means at least six figures, not "but I'm indispensible!".

If they were firing you, would they give you six months to get a successor job in place?
I dont know what I am going to do. I still haven't given my two weeks. I plan on going on a cruise right before school starts and my employer knows about the cruise but doesn't know about the whole law school thing. I am thinking I will just call them after the cruise and say I have had some family emergency and I won't be able to make it back. What do you think?
Man up and quit. Tell them you've been looking into pursuing your education, and feel that this would be the best direction for you. Offer to stay late, finish projects, help interview replacements, whatever, but you owe them nothing more than that.
Well, I have only been here for 2 months. I don't think it will be that big of deal. I just need to tell them.
LMAO :D This is so funny. I love the idea of not coming back after the cruise, as well as the fact they would not give you six months to find another job!! I'm going on a cruise for grad next spring, and just hopefully I'll be going to some top law school and I'll just start wearing their t-shirt everyday. Wonder if anyone would get the point... Doubt it!

DREADING OCT

New

Post by DREADING OCT » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 am

i'm quitting today. i'm not headed off to law school for another year but i really can't do this anymore. i am in a sales job and hate it. i'm going back to serving and looking for something else to bide a year. so no two week notice, my boss actually prefers not to get one. weird?

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Since my boss didn't even really know who I was (and I had been working there for 2.5 years!), his eyes got really wide when I happened to corner him in the hall with my letter of resignation after asking 4 people where he might be.

He didn't really understand what it was, but he did see "Law School" and the date and said okay and murmured something about how hard it would be to replace a science teacher.

I taught english and theatre.

That being said, while that run in with my boss were painless, dealing with HR for the next four months was a nightmare.

ntlord

New

Post by ntlord » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:56 pm

I told them about a year ago I was thinking about Law school.. but they never really believed me.. I told them I got accepted to a few places, and then they realized I was serious. Now they are scrambling.. I have since had to do a whole lot of traveling (UK, NY, MT) and will be traveling the week before law school starts (which sucks). Luckily for me they also let me work remotely.. so I guess that is nice. All in all, they have been very supportive, wrote me an LOR, etc... I just think they didn't realize I would go through with it. It is important to note that I am a Software Developer, so I guess it was a bit of a shock. Having thought about it, I guess it would have been smarter to not tell them. I'm sure it would have been better for me financially, but I do fine as it is. At least I'm leaving on good terms, no need to burn any bridges.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 am

I gave notice on friday in a fashion that is probably ill advised: email. I didn't have a choice as I was contractually obligated to provide a particular amount of notice (exceeding 2 weeks) and my boss was out of the office when I received notice of my admission. Despite my expectations, my resignation was well received; my boss said a number of very nice things and explained that both he and the senior partner, whom he forwarded my resignation to, wanted me to know that I could come back any time. It definitely helped that I wasn't defecting to a competitor--otherwise I would not have been able to credibly praise the company while resigning.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”