George Mason Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
branmahoney

New

George Mason Class of 2011

Post by branmahoney » Thu May 22, 2008 12:24 am

I'm about to pay my second deposit...and unless UVA or Vanderbilt do something strange with their waitlists this summer, this is where I'll be at. Anyone else in here heading to GM?

laxgirl37

New

Re: George Mason Class of 2011

Post by laxgirl37 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:11 am

I really want to be! When are the second deposits due?

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Thu May 22, 2008 10:26 am

unless GW pulls through, that's where I'm headed. I'm sending the second deposit as of tomorrow.

GMU11

New

Post by GMU11 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:17 pm

I'll be sending in my second seat deposit this weekend.

branmahoney

New

Post by branmahoney » Thu May 22, 2008 2:16 pm

I really want to be! When are the second deposits due?
Deposits are due on June 1st

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

teachertolawyer

New

Post by teachertolawyer » Fri May 23, 2008 10:22 am

Last edited by teachertolawyer on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Fri May 23, 2008 12:03 pm

I'm terrified at the possibility of snow at all. But then I'm from SoCal. I've only seen snow on TV.

RoughRider

New

Post by RoughRider » Fri May 23, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi all. I'll be at Mason this fall and will be sending in my 2nd deposit over the weekend. I too am on the UVA waitlist, but probably will withdraw in a month as I won't be able to wait it out until August for various reasons.

laxgirl37

New

Post by laxgirl37 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:20 pm

Found out this morning that I too will be at GMU in the fall!

No worries- it really doesn't snow much here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

branmahoney

New

Post by branmahoney » Wed May 28, 2008 9:05 am

Got confirmation of my second deposit. BTW, For anyone who is a Virginia or DC area native, whats the housing situation like, and whats a good way to find a place/roommates?

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 am

I'm not a native and it's been a real treat finding a place LOL.

But find a place I did. Through Craigslist. Farther from the school than I'd like to be but it's big, cheap and has a balcony. So me and the dog are all set.

As far as roommates go I know there is a couple of postings on mason's site. Otherwise there's always trusty CL.

longhornforlife

New

Post by longhornforlife » Wed May 28, 2008 10:25 am

Looks like I'll be at GMU too unless UVA pulls through--I started looking at apartments in the Ballston/Clarendon area--verrry pricey- what are apartment prices looking like for you guys who have picked somewhere further into the city, if you don't mind me asking?

laxgirl37

New

Post by laxgirl37 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:48 am

I've been here for three years, and honestly, your best bet is to find a roomate and live in a row house. If you're willing to live in DC (which is really the best place) I'd recomend Glover Park for that situation.
If you'd prefer to stay in VA- a nice, affordable option is Fairlington. Not exactly right next to the school, but a nice community feel. Note- you must have a car for either of those locations.

Becareful about some places that seem like they'd be in a good location but priced at "too good to be true" rates- they tend to be in the sketchy pockets of Arlington.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

branmahoney

New

Post by branmahoney » Wed May 28, 2008 10:52 am

People who have gone there tell me its very beneficial to walk to school ( <15 mins) as opposed to taking the metro from far away so I'm trying to find a place nearby, but I havent found anything on CL so far. Same deal with UVA for me, I have my doubts about getting off the wait list (General nonresident).

longhornforlife

New

Post by longhornforlife » Wed May 28, 2008 1:49 pm

branmahoney wrote:People who have gone there tell me its very beneficial to walk to school ( <15 mins) as opposed to taking the metro from far away so I'm trying to find a place nearby, but I havent found anything on CL so far. Same deal with UVA for me, I have my doubts about getting off the wait list (General nonresident).
Yeah I definitely know what you're talking about...my parents are looking at buying a place and charging me rent too, but it looks like we're leaning towards renting. It's all around 1800/month in the Ballston/Clarendon area. Can you say taking out loans?! I found a nice place right across the street from the school that's utilities included for $1800. It's sick that I find that to be a good deal. I'm trying not to have a car, so this may be good.

And trust me, I have my doubts about getting off the waitlist (priority, resident,) BUT pretty much 99% of the people they've let in so far have been priority non-resident. Looks like they've filled their unofficial quota of residents....I'm starting to plan for Mason. It's a great school, so can't complain.

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm planning on using my car, but I'm still close to the metro in case I don't feel like driving. For $1300 a month, it is an offer I can't refuse.

I thought with SoCal prices, I'd be used to spending a fortune on rent, but I have been humbled.

I think $1800 guy, you'll probably be much happier than me living so close to school. And don't worry, I'll bring an extra sandwich to class to feed you because you have no food money. :lol:

RoughRider

New

Post by RoughRider » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:33 pm

longhornforlife wrote:
branmahoney wrote:People who have gone there tell me its very beneficial to walk to school ( <15 mins) as opposed to taking the metro from far away so I'm trying to find a place nearby, but I havent found anything on CL so far. Same deal with UVA for me, I have my doubts about getting off the wait list (General nonresident).
Yeah I definitely know what you're talking about...my parents are looking at buying a place and charging me rent too, but it looks like we're leaning towards renting. It's all around 1800/month in the Ballston/Clarendon area. Can you say taking out loans?! I found a nice place right across the street from the school that's utilities included for $1800. It's sick that I find that to be a good deal. I'm trying not to have a car, so this may be good.

And trust me, I have my doubts about getting off the waitlist (priority, resident,) BUT pretty much 99% of the people they've let in so far have been priority non-resident. Looks like they've filled their unofficial quota of residents....I'm starting to plan for Mason. It's a great school, so can't complain.

Longhorn ~ if you don't mind me asking, is the place you found a 1 Bedroom? Me and my wife will be in the area in a few weeks to finalize a place to live. I'll need a 2 BR though (I have kids).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longhornforlife

New

Post by longhornforlife » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:45 pm

anchaires wrote:I'm planning on using my car, but I'm still close to the metro in case I don't feel like driving. For $1300 a month, it is an offer I can't refuse.

I thought with SoCal prices, I'd be used to spending a fortune on rent, but I have been humbled.

I think $1800 guy, you'll probably be much happier than me living so close to school. And don't worry, I'll bring an extra sandwich to class to feed you because you have no food money. :lol:
RoughRider wrote:
longhornforlife wrote:

Longhorn ~ if you don't mind me asking, is the place you found a 1 Bedroom? Me and my wife will be in the area in a few weeks to finalize a place to live. I'll need a 2 BR though (I have kids).

Yes, the place I was looking at is one bedroom. I have a friend that works for archstone (the main company for apartments over there) and she said 2 bedroom runs about 2200. Pretty steep. But since I wrote that I paid a visit to my friend that goes to GWU. He lives in the Statesman on 21 and F street, which is pretty nice (protected, security, etc.) and he has a studio, all bills paid except cable for 1100! Apparently a lot of the apartments around foggy bottom are comparable to that, and pretty spacious. I'm going to look at that- its 2 blocks from the metro and only 3 or 4 stops from GMU- for 700 dollars less, I'm all for foggy bottom!

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:16 pm

So everyone's been quiet lately.

It looks like Mason is a pretty sure bet for me now.......I'm getting very excited that the big move cross country is coming right up!

How's everyone coming on their summer reading lists? Where's everyone living?

I switched apartments so I'm going to be a lot closer to the school...not walking distance or anything, but close enough that I could run there if I was into running....which I'm not really. I'm just saying...

RoughRider

New

Post by RoughRider » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm kind of in limbo at the moment. My house has not sold and without that happening my cross-country move to Mason cannot happen. If it doesn't sell by the end of the month I am going to have to plead for a deferrment.

I'll be heading back to Arlington area tomorrow as I was going to find and secure an apartment. I have all sorts of appointments set up to view apts/condos over the next several days.

I hope they are open to a deferrment if my house doesn't sell. . . . .also, I recently was put on the WL for Univ. of Washington (which is local) which had previously rejected me. All very stressful at the moment.

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 pm

man roughrider, that is tough.

Have you watched the HGTV shows about staging your home? every little bit helps!!!!

Well I'm wishing you well and also breathing a sigh of relief for not having bought that condo I was thinking about last year.

keep us all posted on how it's going!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

longhornforlife

New

Post by longhornforlife » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:32 am

Where is everyone living? Let's talk about how it's practically July and I haven't even found potential ones..hmm,,,should get started on that!

anchaires

New

Post by anchaires » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm leasing a small condo in DC. I was going to do the burbs thing, but I'm just not that girl.

there's just so many friggin options.....You've still got plenty of time if you start now though.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:08 pm

I'll be commuting from out near Fairfax... hopefully I won't get stuck with an 8:30 AM class!

teachertolawyer

New

Post by teachertolawyer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Did you see that the class schedule is up on their website now? There's no way to know which section you'll be in yet (as far as I know) but on the bright side, there's only one section with an 8:30 class and it's only one day a week.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”