William & Mary Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
limegreen

Silver

Re: William & Mary Class of 2011

Post by limegreen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:04 am

It shouldn't be a problem- I see people on road bikes everywhere. There are some specific bike lanes around the undergraduate campus and several other areas, but I see people riding bikes even where there aren't any all the time because the roads are pretty wide and it's a pretty normal occurrence here. I wouldn't suggest using a bike as your sole mode of transportation as James City County (which surrounds WMBG) is fairly large, but depending on where you live in relation to campus and how far you need to travel, it's definitely a viable option some of the time. I'll add that there are some mountain biking trails as well if you're into that, and there are several bike stores here.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:05 am

thanks for the info, buying a bike is one of the first things I plan to do once I get settled.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:24 am

brjames87 wrote:thanks for the info, buying a bike is one of the first things I plan to do once I get settled.
When do you plan to move? Did you find a place yet?

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:42 pm

I found a townhouse a few miles from campus, I'll probably get there some time in early August.

So I have a question, the wm academic calendar says that classes don't start until Aug 25th, but on Aug 18th "first year students begin". What do we do for the first week, standard classes, orientation, what?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:06 pm

brjames87 wrote:I found a townhouse a few miles from campus, I'll probably get there some time in early August.

So I have a question, the wm academic calendar says that classes don't start until Aug 25th, but on Aug 18th "first year students begin". What do we do for the first week, standard classes, orientation, what?
I dunno, I was wondering the same thing. What neighborhood is it in (you don't have to disclose if you don't want).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:41 am

I thought I told you all this in a pm? Anyway, its in James Square off of James Rd, to the west of the James Rd/Lake Powell Rd intersection.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:42 am

brjames87 wrote:I thought I told you all this in a pm? Anyway, its in James Square off of James Rd, to the west of the James Rd/Lake Powell Rd intersection.
You may have, but I don't recall seeing one about that. I think somehow I deleted some that I hadn't read or something. Anyway that should be a nice quick drive. I'm looking at a couple of places now but I'm not sure where I'll end up. The only thing I know is I won't be staying in Spots wood.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:15 pm

Bad experience there?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Yea, to say the least. I wouldn't recommend it, feel free to PM me if anyone wants details. I posted a thread about it a while back, but long story short our apartment was egged by neighbors we had complained to the rental office about (we think). The rental office won't let us out of our lease (it's over soon anyway) and they won't do anything about the fact that these same people have a dog that barks all the time (it has woken me up early for the last 3 days) and that they play music super late and it sounds like they are having parties at 3am. This all wouldn't be a huge issue except we are paying significantly more than most other 2BR in Williamsburg just so we don't have to deal with stuff like this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:00 am

I'm hoping that I don't get stuck in a situation like that, but what do you do? Sometimes you just have to roll the dice. That's why my friends call me whiskers.

http://www.truveo.com/Will-Ferrell-as-H ... 1699454632

MainBrad

New

Post by MainBrad » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:04 pm

As far as the first week goes, I believe it will be used for orientation and some basic law study skills. From W & M website:

"The Program begins with a challenging and intensive week of instruction designed to introduce the new student to both the legal system and the study of law. During this introductory week, the first-year students learn about the structure of our legal system by constructing a new legal system in a lawless society, are introduced to the ethical responsibilities of the profession, and get experience briefing cases, interviewing a "client," and writing their first memorandum of law.

How effective is this week of total immersion in the culture of the law? Read the words of some of our Legal Skills students from Introductory Week 2004:

"This week has made me feel more prepared and excited for my first semester. I feel thankful for such a unique, practical program that provides a framework for the coming courses and career."

"This week eased the transition into law school. I feel more comfortable after reading cases, and doing briefs and a memorandum."

"I have a much greater appreciation for the importance of what I will do here, giving me greater confidence and a firmer sense of duty."

"I wanted to study law, for a mix of moral and academic reasons . . . after this week I see the two are firmly linked, and I feel charged with a great and humbling responsibility to work hard and live up to the potential of the profession."

And if you're in the grad fellowship program I believe we're supposed to check in and get our work assignments.
HTH.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:49 am

thanks for the info, I also emailed my upcoming roommate (who is a 2l) about what we do that first week so if he gives me any additional insights I will pass them on to this thread.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 am

Here's what my roommate told me that first week is about:
The first week is Law Camp. You'll learn a little bit about what you've gotten yourself into, you'll make some friends, most of whom won't be your friends by second semester, you'll take the Honor Code, and you'll hear some inspiring speeches and some less-than-inspiring ones.

To be honest, I don't remember that much about Law Camp. But, you have to do it, and it isn't hard, so that's a plus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:23 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds okay. Does anyone know if it's an all day 9-5 thing or if it's just different speakers and stuff we go to at different times all week?

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:55 pm

In response, and again from my roommate:
It's all day all week, and it's required.

lizziemay

New

Post by lizziemay » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Does anyone have any idea if there is a way to take the local bus system from Oxford New Town to the law school? If not, is there any other public transportation that can get me there? Thanks.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57 pm

lizziemay wrote:Does anyone have any idea if there is a way to take the local bus system from Oxford New Town to the law school? If not, is there any other public transportation that can get me there? Thanks.
The WAT purple line I picks up at Oxford (according to the transit website) and then you can go to the transfer point and get on the green line to go the law school. It looks like the purple line inbound picks you up only every hour, on the hour. According to this schedule there are no transfer times after 8pm (10pm in the summer).
http://www.williamsburgtransport.com/Pa ... eLine.html

The WAT green line II goes to the law school. It is there every 30 minutes I think (22 and 52 after the hour).
--LinkRemoved--

I got all of this from the WAT site, so I would suggest you start there and maybe you can figure out what would work for you. I don't have any anecdotal evidence because I think I've only been on it like once way back when I was doing freshman orientation, but I don't know if the bus alone will really get you where you want to go all the time. James City County is pretty spread out and while they do have lots of lines/stops, some of them only run every hour or half hour so unless you plan well you may end up spending a lot of time waiting. Some undergrads don't have campus, in fact a good friend of mine didn't, but his internship was within walking distance and he lived on campus. I think most people off campus will tell you that it's good to have another method of transportation, but if you are a good planner and are committed to scheduling around the bus you might be able to make it work.

If anyone has any personal experience to share with lizzie that'd be great, sorry I can't be of more help. Also, I don't know if you've visited yet or just picked out New Town, it's very close to the undergrad campus but it's a little further from the law school because you essentially have to drive around the undergraduate campus to get to it on one side or the other.

And congrats on Oxford, my SO and I looked at those and decided to try and live there if we stayed in Williamsburg. They are very nice and Newtown is a great place with lots of great restaurants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lizziemay

New

Post by lizziemay » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks for the thorough and quick response. My SO and I have a car (it's his), but thanks to WM's wonderful policy, we can't be in the same section. So that means a lot of waiting time for both of us if we're going to be sharing the car. So I was thinking about possibly taking the bus if that was easy. Obviously, it doesn't sound like the most convenient thing, and definitely doesn't sound like something I want to do every day. At this point I'm thinking maybe my bike might be a good option. I'm a little frustrated that we can't be in the same section, though. That would make my life so much easier.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:28 pm

Has anyone else looked at their schedule yet?

Grover- Civil
Marcus- Criminal
Hardy- Torts
Simcox- Legal skills

lizziemay

New

Post by lizziemay » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Combs-Criminal
Green-Civ Pro
Heymann-Torts
Miller-Legal Skills

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 pm

double post. oops.
Last edited by limegreen on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:52 pm

lizziemay wrote:Thanks for the thorough and quick response. My SO and I have a car (it's his), but thanks to WM's wonderful policy, we can't be in the same section. So that means a lot of waiting time for both of us if we're going to be sharing the car. So I was thinking about possibly taking the bus if that was easy. Obviously, it doesn't sound like the most convenient thing, and definitely doesn't sound like something I want to do every day. At this point I'm thinking maybe my bike might be a good option. I'm a little frustrated that we can't be in the same section, though. That would make my life so much easier.
What is their policy exactly? Have you spoken with them about it? With gas prices the way they are and all of that you would think they would encourage people to carpool.

I don't think the bus thing would be the best solution to do everyday, but I have read on the boards that many students treat law school as a 9-5 and just stay at school to get work done between classes. Perhaps an arrangement like that may work out for you and your SO, and on days where one of you needs to leave you could take the car and the other just take the bus home, or vice versa. The law school is less than a 10 minute drive (with traffic) so car sharing seems like it would work decently well. I think the bus system is a little easier than I made it out to be (I hope so anyway), I just wanted to say that it would probably be difficult if that was your only method of transportation all of the time. I am not that familiar with the bus system so maybe with a little trial and error you could make it work for you.

Rhoda

New

Post by Rhoda » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Green- Civil
Marcus- Criminal
Torts- Zick
Moschel- Legal Skills

Although those names don't mean much to me.

brjames87

New

Post by brjames87 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 am

me neither

MainBrad

New

Post by MainBrad » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:32 pm

Crim - Marcus
Torts - Hardy
Civ Pro - Grover
Skills - Perry

So it looks like a couple of us are in the same section. Marcus is the only prof I've heard of. He was the editor of the casebook we will probably be using and has been published extensively. He was also awarded a teaching honor, so I believe we can look forward to Crim. Only one month left, I'm looking forward to meeting you guys soon.

P.S. Congrats Lime on your LSAT! I guess you won't be joining us this fall after all. :(
Good luck, I hope you get into Virginia!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”