Big Law Employment- Does age matter? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
gunner

New

Big Law Employment- Does age matter?

Post by gunner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:48 pm

I am in my late 20's and plan on attending law school in the fall at a top 20 school and am worried if I will have trouble landing a big law job because I will be over 30 when I graduate; even if I do well at school. I am looking for others opinions as I would hate to quit a six figure job to go to law school if it will be hard to get a job afterwords due to age.

prettypithy

New

Re: Big Law Employment- Does age matter?

Post by prettypithy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:51 pm

I met a very happy Orrick associate at one of the GW events. She was visibly in her fifties and was I believe in the class of 05 at GW Law. Her gray hair and granny glasses did not change her science undergrad degree or the fact that she studied at one of the best IP schools in the country.

The short answer is no, it doesn't matter.

gunner

New

Post by gunner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Thanks, that makes me feel better about spending my life savings.

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 pm

My guess would be the older the better until about 40; I'm sure they value the intellectual and emotional maturity. The only time age would be to your detriment would be at the point where they don't think you have another decade or two of work left in you, because they want long-term employees, as the training and "grooming" is expensive.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:35 pm

LaffyTaffy wrote:My guess would be the older the better until about 40; I'm sure they value the intellectual and emotional maturity. The only time age would be to your detriment would be at the point where they don't think you have another decade or two of work left in you, because they want long-term employees, as the training and "grooming" is expensive.
TITCR. Being 30 isn't exactly old, especially in law, where people basically have to be forced out of biglaw around 67 so other people can move up lol. Experience and age seem to go hand in hand, and I doubt it will be an issue for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:57 am

I don't think they expect most associates to last more than 10 years anyway.
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

wahoo831

New

Post by wahoo831 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 am

underdawg wrote:I don't think they expect most associates to last more than 10 years anyway.
Lol, I was going to say 5....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”