Stanford Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
DarlayBoo

New

Re: Stanford Law Class of 2011

Post by DarlayBoo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:42 am

Might be - I seem to vaguely remember this - because our current ID numbers are just provisional? They aren't our real deal digits? Or perhaps I'm making this up. Sleepy...

Thanks for the football info Priya! Glad to hear I can probably safely not care, as yes, all of those options you mention sound much better to me.

Oh, and you guys seen the ba-rak-roll? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65I0HNvTDH4
I've had that goddamn song in my head for days now... :roll:

priyajasmine

New

Post by priyajasmine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:25 am

atomnc wrote:Has anyone successfully logged into the Career Services site that was sent to us in that email today? My log in won't work. Not that I particularly relish looking for a job right now (scary thought for me), but I'd like to at least check out the system, ya know?
Apparently there was a glitch in the system, so they have to re-add us all over again or something. No worries, Kevin, it isn't us after all ! :D

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Everyone in admin at SLS that I've dealt with has been super nice and helpful, but anyone else getting the feeling that um, well the different departments don't exactly work together seamlessly? I mean I have to call about my bursar bill today as it still seems really unclear to me: the housing charges are now added in with the tuition ones, but there's no health insurance bill yet and none of my loans and so on (while now noted as anticipated) are actually subtracted from the total due. **Edit: reread Deal's email and I guess I just pay the difference, but still, perhaps a little over-complicated? How about getting your billing in order enough that you don't have to send a three part explanation email to everyone for it?** Just beginning to get frustrated by all the digital friction. Seems like Stanford of all places would have been able to get a seamless electronic infrastructure going...

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:39 pm

This might be (re: is) a dumb questions, but are we not assigned local Stanford addresses until we actually move in? I'd like to do change of address/contact stuff, but I can't find any indication on Axess that I actually have a Stanford address.

Arbit

New

Post by Arbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:52 am

aschup wrote:This might be (re: is) a dumb questions, but are we not assigned local Stanford addresses until we actually move in? I'd like to do change of address/contact stuff, but I can't find any indication on Axess that I actually have a Stanford address.
I got an e-mail a couple days ago. I'm in a studio, but it probably isn't much different for all on-campus housing.
Because of last minute changes, cancellations, early arrival requests, unexpected repairs, and other reasons your apartment assignment is TENTATIVE until you pick up your keys. To find out your tentative apartment information, please call the Front Desk at Rains at 650-725-4739. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you with this information individually by email.
As a pre-pre orientation exercise they're being as cryptic as they can and making it impossible to plan ahead. Touché, Stanford.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:02 am

Oh man, I'm getting slightly nervous. I still don't have housing lined up...apparently I'm like nineteenth in line for a basement room in Crothers. It's sad that I'm not even exaggerating! So at orientation, if you guys spot a sleeping bag tucked behind a palm tree, come say hi!

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:15 am

Who else thinks that housing is really the final hurdle towards ACTUAL admissions? I swear...

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:31 pm

I get on my train in just a few hours! Two days of national parks and gorgeous coastline. Excited!

Anyway, yeah, I move in Tuesday - Studio 6, fourth floor I think - so if anyone here's going to be around this next week and would still be up for meeting up, get in touch/say hi if you see me :).

Looking forward to meeting everyone in real life!

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:06 pm

atomnc wrote:Who else thinks that housing is really the final hurdle towards ACTUAL admissions? I swear...
I apparently did not get that memo, but it's so true. So it looks like I get to be the awkward person who moves into the dorms like a week late...if I'm lucky, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Well, people keep talking about knowing what building they are living in, but I guess housing decided to not clue me in. Or are the people who know specifics the ones that are moving in next week? I'd like to ship some stuff so my airline doesn't decide to charge me several hundred dollars, but without an address, I don't foresee that happening.

Arbit

New

Post by Arbit » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Yeah, I got the e-mail because I'm moving in next week. I didn't bother to call since they made it so clear that everything was TENTATIVE until we arrived. Their use of caps was especially convincing.

Anyway, for those who didn't get it, and have questions about shipping, etc., here is the full text:
Greetings New Resident:

Welcome Home! My name is Maria Jose Soublette. I would like to welcome you to your new home in Graduate Student Housing at Stanford University. Please take a moment to read the following information as it might be very useful in planning your arrival to Student Housing.

Your move in date is on 8/19/2008 at 4pm (Keys will not be release before 4pm)

If arriving during normal office Hours (Monday - Friday, 8AM - 5PM)
You may check in at the Front Desk at Rains. We are located at 203 Rosse Lane, Stanford, CA, 94305.You may find our location and directions at Searchable Campus Map. Please bring a photo ID such a passport, driver license, or your SUID card.

If arriving while our office is closed
If you do not check in by 5pm on your scheduled date (Monday to Friday only), we will deliver your keys and welcome materials to the Graduate Community Center. The GCC is open Sunday-Thursday 8AM-midnight and Friday & Saturday 8AM-1AM. The Front Desk at GCC is located at 750 Escondido Road and the phone number is 650-736-7133. You could also designate a friend to pick up your keys during normal business hours. Just send me an email with your proxy's name authorizing me to release your keys to him/her.

If arriving after the GCC hours of operations
Rooms are available through the Stanford Guest House.
View a list of local hotels and motels near Stanford.

Apartment information
Because of last minute changes, cancellations, early arrival requests, unexpected repairs, and other reasons your apartment assignment is TENTATIVE until you pick up your keys. To find out your tentative apartment information, please call the Front Desk at Rains at 650-725-4739. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide you with this information individually by email.

Graduate Student Information Center
A Graduate Student Information Center will be open at the Graduate Community Center, 750 Escondido Road, from September 2 through September 26; for more information, call (650) 736-7078. Center staff provide general information about Stanford resources and administrative offices, University orientation activities and schedules, and tips for getting settled in the community.

Need to ship things? This is what you can do:
1) Have your friends and relatives ship your belongings to you after you have moved in.
2) Ship your belongings with a carrier, like UPS, that will not deliver your packages until you have phoned them with delivery information. You will need to make these arrangements directly with the package carrier service. UPS delivers your packages directly to your apartment.
The Front Desk cannot accept packages for residents. We want to help, but we have no room for the volume of packages arriving for residents and we cannot accept liability for anything that might be lost or broken. Commercial carriers like UPS and FedEx will leave an "attempt to deliver" notice on your apartment, or your residence building door. If packages sent through the US Postal Service are too big to fit in your mailbox or mail slot, you will receive a notification slip from the Post Office indicating where and how to pick up your package.

Special Services
Store your items year-round or just for a quarter, order cleaning products, linen packages, housecleaning services, laundry and dry cleaning and more!
Cardinal Mall

Questions About your Bill?
Stanford Gateway to Financial Services or visit StanfordePay

Student Housing
Learn about life in housing.
http://studenthousing.stanford.edu/

Where to get your Stanford ID Card (SUID)
http://www.stanford.edu/services/campus ... ffice.html

The Student Home Page.
Get started with your computer, get connected to the Internet
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/student/home/

Telephone & Cable TV for Students
http://www.stanford.edu/services/telephone/students/

Parking and Transportation
http://transportation.stanford.edu/

Don't miss fun events at the International Center
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/icenter/index.html

Please let me know if you need further information.

I am looking forward to your arrival!

Maria Jose Soublette
Rains Front Desk Support
Rains buildings, Ev 1-6, Ev 121-144, Studios 1-2 and Blackwelder
Front Desk at Rains
Stanford University

chup

Diamond

Post by chup » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:32 am

Hmmm. I'm supposed to move into Rains on Tuesday, but I haven't received that email. Maybe I should bring a tent and sleeping bag, just to be on the safe side.

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:09 am

Anyone of you guys getting a meal plan? Looks pricey, but I'm not sure how available/affordable groceries are in the area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:39 am

To expose what a dork I am, not that I imagine many people will find this to be a huge surprise, I went through and figured out some of the section logic for classes this fall. (BTW, the full list of all the courses offered in the fall has been posted on Axess, if you're curious.)

Essentially, we can't tell anything about who we have for Torts, since they are all at the same time, so I've excluded the course from this exercise.

If you are in Kessler's Civ Pro, you will be in Fried's Contracts and Cuellar's Crim Law.

If you are in Kramer's Civ Pro (yeah, the dean's teaching this fall!), you will either be in Craswell's Contracts and Joh's Crim Law OR Greely's Contracts and Kelman's Crim Law.

If you are in Spaulding's Civ Pro, you'll follow the same logic as Kramer's.

I'm pretty sure I've worked that out right, but if not, please, someone, look through it for me and correct it. :)

BTW, this means that we'll be in class from 9:50-11:05 five days a week, 11:20-12:35 at least three days a week, and 2:15-3:30 at least three days a week. Plus LRW, which I don't feel like trying to figure out right now.

Oh, and I'm not doing the meal plan, but that's more of an aversion from undergrads for me than a specific desire to spend/save money.

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Oh man, I love how Stanford broadcast their power outage news to my cell phone, my home phone, and my email. I am expecting a messenger pigeon with the same message..and possibly a telegram, considering how thorough they are, haha.

And excellent deductive work, Adam. Brushing up on those logic games skills?

priyajasmine

New

Post by priyajasmine » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:31 pm

atomnc wrote:To expose what a dork I am, not that I imagine many people will find this to be a huge surprise, I went through and figured out some of the section logic for classes this fall. (BTW, the full list of all the courses offered in the fall has been posted on Axess, if you're curious.)

No worries, that's definitely something I would do too, if I could :) But can you tell us exactly where on Axess we can find this full course list? I've been combing the Student Center section and can't seem to find it anywhere...

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Sure thing. Near the top, under "Classes" (or something along those lines) click "Search" or "Search for Classes". Select Autumn 2008-2009 and Law from the drop-down menus. It'll warn you that your search will generate over 50 classes. Just hit yes and the list of classes will be there. You can do the same thing for Spring classes, but it's a bit less entertaining, just due to the fact that it isn't looming upon us.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Anyone down for hanging out this coming Sunday? I'm moving in on Saturday evening and would love to just wander around and get a feel for the surrounding area. Let me know!

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm totally up for wandering around. It would also be awesome if anyone who's already here wanted to have a cheap drink Saturday night. Apartment is finally shaping up, so now it's time to be friendly :D

Arbit

New

Post by Arbit » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Moving in has been much more chaotic than I imagined it would be, but as of tomorrow evening I am without obligation. So Saturday and/or Sunday would work for me. Let the games...or drinks...or whatever begin!

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:36 am

Not to interrupt the beginning of fun, but thought people might be interested that our schedules and course assignments are up on Axess now. Interesting, but really, much more important to report what board games people managed to bring with them. I've got Dominos and a pack of cards. Which is sad. Anyone got something better to offer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ecureuil

New

Post by Ecureuil » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:45 am

I'm liking my Fridays. Just one class from 9:50-11 am, mmm.

atomnc

New

Post by atomnc » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:34 am

Yeah. I've got two on Fridays. But I'm in Kramer's Civ Pro, so I really don't care. I like Dean Kramer, so that's exciting. :) Anyone else in my section?

EDIT: A friend and I just compared schedules and I may have been completely wrong earlier about sections.

I've got Kramer's Civ Pro, Joh's Crim Law, Craswell's Contracts, Rabin's Torts, and Sekhon's LRW.

DarlayBoo

New

Post by DarlayBoo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:15 am

I've got CivPro w/Spaulding, Crim w/Mills, Contracts w/Craswell, Torts w/Sykes/staff (?), and RLW w/Roth/staff (?)

Right now I'm thrown by the fact that all but one of my classes seem to meet at a time that changes daily and that nearly half my classes are listed as "staff" taught. Is this a bug and the prof whose listed part of the time is teaching all of those classes or am I really going to have different profs on different days of the week for the same class? Yet another Stanford admin thing that seems - at least on the surface - to be way more complicated than it needs to be...

Arbit

New

Post by Arbit » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:06 pm

DarlayBoo wrote:Not to interrupt the beginning of fun, but thought people might be interested that our schedules and course assignments are up on Axess now. Interesting, but really, much more important to report what board games people managed to bring with them. I've got Dominos and a pack of cards. Which is sad. Anyone got something better to offer?
I had a couple games packed and ready to go, but then just walked right past them (despite having set me conspicuously by the door) when I left. So...all I have is a cribbage board.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”