Northwestern '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
rmyoun06

New

Re: Northwestern '11

Post by rmyoun06 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Merrill wrote:
rmyoun06 wrote:
Merrill wrote:rmyoun06, are you coming to NU?
No, sorry. I'm just inappropriately posting in the thread :mrgreen:
Not awesome enough? ;)
I liked Nortwestern's students and faculty a lot better, but I just kinda liked the feel of Philadelpia over Chicago. Added to that were the marginally warmer weather and significantly lower cost of living, and I was sold :mrgreen:

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:48 pm

Wait--you're choosing Philly over Chicago and you've actually been to Philadelphia? Wonders never cease. ;)

Best of luck at Penn!

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:31 pm

I just kinda liked the feel of Philadelpia over Chicago.
:shock:

To each his own, I guess. Penn's an excellent school.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:13 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Well, at least I know he won't be my commencement speaker.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Merrill wrote:--LinkRemoved--

Well, at least I know he won't be my commencement speaker.
He might be. We'll see how this year's ceremony goes.

I went to Wisconsin for UG; the year before my graduation the commencement speaker was Jerry Zucker (super conservative, hilarious guy) and mine was Bradley Whitford (super liberal, hilarious guy). Neither one gave a particularly weighty speech, but both were really enjoyable. I would much, much prefer to have an entertaining cap on the day than a cliched speech about how important being a lawyer is (seriously, if you don't get that after 3 years of law school, you're not going to). The school has a last lecture and plenty of other graduation speeches to go over the usual "go out there and make the world a better place, hour by billiable hour" speeches; I like that there's at least a possibility of a speaker who has done a lot of interesting (if controversial) things with his life and his degree.

Ultimately, I really don't care who the speaker is. It doesn't really have any bearing on the education or future of anyone from the school, and hopefully will just serve as an interesting set piece in an otherwise dry proceeding. I can think of many better commencement speakers, but also far worse. (UVA's speaker this year is the commissioner of the PGA tour... probably a good speech, but who's excited about it?).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm

I don't know--I would have thought that out of the thousands and thousands of NU grads they could find someone who's interesting and accomplished without being something of a clown.

There may be something to the "keeping it interesting" factor, though--I avoided commencement ceremonies for both my UG and my advanced degree because they just sounded so tedious. I guess if I'm going to go to my law school commencement, I might as well be entertained.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Apparently Springer was not the first choice, but the third. It's tough to get someone who's both interesting, relevant, and not exorbitantly expensive. He's a bit of a clown w/ respect to his show, but he's actually done quite a bit of non-clownish stuff (and, ideally, that will be the focus of his speech).

In the end, it's just something of a non-issue. I don't really understand the hooplah about it, and I don't really care who gives my commencement address :/

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:37 pm

This letter was written in response to Springer's announcement.
Dear LLMs/LLMKs;
I am compelled to write this letter of distress and disappointment to you in regard to the announcement that Northwestern University Law School has asked Jerry Springer to be its commencement speaker on graduation day for the graduating class of 2008.

Our fellow students and I do not believe that a sensationalist television talk-show host such as Mr. Springer truly represents the ideals and educational pursuits for such an esteemed institution as Northwestern University Law School. Although we understand that in some respects Mr. Springer represents the best (and also the worst) of American First Amendment rights, we do not believe that he is worthy of addressing the Class of 2008.

Our graduation from law school will be a lifetime memory, and our ceremony will be etched forever in our hearts and minds as we remember back on our special day. With that being said, I and our fellow classmates wish to express our deep sense of anger, embarrassment and surprise to hear that it would not be a State Senator, or Supreme Court Justice or Civil Rights leader or the like addressing us with words of wisdom and support and encouragement as we enter the next stage of our lives and careers. Instead, the sensationalist, ratings-seeking, instigator of daytime television.

In light of the above, I and our fellow students with strong heart and voice respectfully say no to having Mr. Springer speak before us. There is still plenty of time to find someone more worthy of our pride and joy on graduation day, and who will represent and honor the name and institution which we chose to attend to receive our LLM in law - Northwestern University.

If you are concerned about having Jerry Springer be our speaker, please contact:
Seriously? I'm not saying you're stuck up.. it's just that you have this slight bit of entitlement that rubs me wrong... kind of as if you were... well... stuck up.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:58 pm

iwasgoingtobeasenator wrote:

Seriously? I'm not saying you're stuck up.. it's just that you have this slight bit of entitlement that rubs me wrong... kind of as if you were... well... stuck up.
I lol'd.

On the one hand, I see where the author of this letter is coming from--the public image JS has created for himself is not professionally inspiring. But on the other hand, after three years of law school, do you really need someone appropriately "important" addressing you "with words of wisdom and support and encouragement?"

I think Jerry Springer is a poor choice for commencement speaker, but honestly, the whole idea of marking a transition from one complex experience to another with something like a commencement ceremony with all its manufactured solemnity is kind of silly too. I know ceremony is important to some people; I'm just not one of those people I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Ultimately, I really don't care who the speaker is. It doesn't really have any bearing on the education or future of anyone from the school, and hopefully will just serve as an interesting set piece in an otherwise dry proceeding.
Credited. It's not as though this is going to go on your resume, right? Firms are not going to rescind offers because a low-brow TV host was your commencement speaker. These LLMs should get over their sense of self-importance (wishful thinking in this profession, I know).

BlueDevilSarah

New

Post by BlueDevilSarah » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Of course Springer wasn't the first choice......he was behind Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Seriously, we're just coming off as a bunch of whiny brats who can't take the time to organize prior to these "problems" being aired.

I'm all for Springer. I think he's brilliant and he has a lot of contributions beyond his tabloid appeal. Man knows how to make money without exploiting people (anyone who thinks those people don't know what they're in for are kidding themselves). I think he wins.

/end rant/

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:41 am

Can any admitted students remember how long it took after being accepted to receive anything in the mail?

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:13 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:34 pm

Strange--in my acceptance letter, it said I had to fill out all these forms, which were not included in the acceptance letter. I just assumed they'd come via snail.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm

That's confusing. I called and found out that all of the forms I need to fill out are on the admitted students website, which I wouldn't know my password to unless I'd called. Just in case anyone else was wondering...

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:02 pm

yeah I actually had that same problem. I think J J Abrams must be taking over the admissions dept at NU.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:50 pm

typodragon wrote:yeah I actually had that same problem. I think J J Abrams must be taking over the admissions dept at NU.
lol--I actually had to look that up.

Hm, my password isn't working, and I get an error message when I call. Meltdown at the admissions office?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 pm

Wow--I am always impressed with how calm and nice most of the people who work at the admissions office are.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:23 pm

Merrill wrote:Wow--I am always impressed with how calm and nice most of the people who work at the admissions office are.
maybe they just seem calm and nice compared to the manic depressive types you meet on law school message boards.

gedmem2

New

Post by gedmem2 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:35 pm

Springer actually had a career in politics and journalism before the show (which he himself admits is trash).

He was a pretty popular mayor of Cincinnati, even despite a prostitution scandal. He's also supposed to be an awesome speaker. Hear all about it at: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_E ... pisode=258

It sounds to me like the people who wrote the above e-mail didn't even bother to glance at his Wikipedia entry.

YesPrimeMinister

New

Post by YesPrimeMinister » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm

I've had the same experience. The admissions-folk are great.

What forms do we need to fill out? I didn't know there was anything on deck after the deposit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:33 pm

It's just the form you send with the deposit--the intent to enroll, I think it's called.

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:50 pm

There will be health forms and orientation forms later on (I think in July), but there's not much to do otherwise. They won't be mailing you updates every week or anything.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:22 pm

ALilMusicFactry wrote:There will be health forms and orientation forms later on (I think in July), but there's not much to do otherwise. They won't be mailing you updates every week or anything.
Shoot and I was expecting a weekly, "Hey Merrill, we're glad to let you know that you're still accepted!"

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:49 pm

lol. My general point was: don't get too worried if you don't hear anything from them until much closer to orientation. Some people freak out about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”