Northwestern '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
jgarr

New

Re: Northwestern '11

Post by jgarr » Wed May 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Merrill wrote:Ah, I found the thing about the transcripts. I didn't see a date, though, so I assume we just need to send them in sometime before the end of summer.
You can probably turn one in at orientation too

kerplunk

New

Post by kerplunk » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Hey guys,

I finally found this thread. I missed the ASW so I'm looking forward to meeting everyone during orientation. I'm also from Seattle, good to know there are some other UWers coming to NU. I'm hoping to move back to Seattle after school to practice. Right now I'm living in hyde park because I thought I was going to be going to UofC for another program. Rent is really reasonable over here but there is not much to do. It is about a half hour commute, but its going to feel a lot longer during the winter!

Anyways, just wanted to say hi =)

Pilobolus

New

Post by Pilobolus » Thu May 15, 2008 4:10 pm

I used to live in Seattle but I'm a proud Californian living on the east coast and terrified to move to arctic Chicago!

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Thu May 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Pilobolus wrote:I used to live in Seattle but I'm a proud Californian living on the east coast and terrified to move to arctic Chicago!

I'm from Southern California originally, but I've lived in Chicago for 10 years. It's survivable--just make sure you dress for the weather! ...and a tropical vacation every winter doesn't hurt either. :)

jgarr

New

Post by jgarr » Mon May 19, 2008 12:30 am

Chicago isn't THAT cold... at least not for those of us from Michigan, haha...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iwanttogotolawschool

New

Post by iwanttogotolawschool » Mon May 19, 2008 7:18 pm

So...excuse my stupidity, but...what is "convertible" in terms of housing? I understand what a studio is, but this convertible business has me confused.

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Mon May 19, 2008 7:43 pm

iwanttogotolawschool wrote:So...excuse my stupidity, but...what is "convertible" in terms of housing? I understand what a studio is, but this convertible business has me confused.
I think it means that there's an extra room that could be converted into a bedroom (if someone doesn't mind sleeping in a really small space or a room with no windows or something). But you should ask when you call the place, because I'm not positive.

Pilobolus

New

Post by Pilobolus » Mon May 19, 2008 8:00 pm

It's like a fake one bedroom. In other words, there's a space for your bed but no door or wall that makes it into a separate room. Definitely better than a regular old studio.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Mon May 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Merrill wrote:
iwanttogotolawschool wrote:So...excuse my stupidity, but...what is "convertible" in terms of housing? I understand what a studio is, but this convertible business has me confused.
I think it means that there's an extra room that could be converted into a bedroom (if someone doesn't mind sleeping in a really small space or a room with no windows or something). But you should ask when you call the place, because I'm not positive.
Mine is basically a one bedroom, but the wall separating the bedroom from the living room doesn't quite cut the two off and there's a big french door between the two rooms. It used to be a large studio, but they put the wall in later to up the price (but I think it's worth it).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pilobolus

New

Post by Pilobolus » Tue May 20, 2008 9:52 am

While we're on the topic...

I'm completely opposed to the Streeterville apartments (McClurg, etc.) - I'd much rather get a studio in a vintage building. I love Gold Coast, but I don't think I can handle more than a .25 mile walk in less than 40 degrees. Does anyone know anything about Delaware II (25 E Delaware) or 40 E Oak? Thoughts? Suggestions?

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 am

jgarr wrote:
Merrill wrote:Ah, I found the thing about the transcripts. I didn't see a date, though, so I assume we just need to send them in sometime before the end of summer.
You can probably turn one in at orientation too
Just to confirm, you CAN turn one in at orientation. At least, I did, and they didn't turn me away or complain. Just make sure you don't open the envelope. I had my UG print up several transcripts so that I'd have them handy for applications and such. They were VERY unhappy about the envelope being opened when I brought them in.

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Tue May 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Last edited by idrinkcoffee on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Tue May 20, 2008 3:37 pm

-
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArcusProtus

New

Post by ArcusProtus » Tue May 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Sorry I've been away so long! I wanted to respond to a couple of people...
Merrill wrote:Welcome ArcusProtus! Are you living in Chicago now?
Thanks Merrill! Yesl, I work in the Loop and live in Lincoln Park, but I will be moving...
jgarr wrote: Since you obviously know the area really well -- where are you planning on living? Why? I'm pretty much set on the Streeterville area, but I haven't been to look at places yet, and am always looking for additional insights.
... but I'm not sure where yet. I am looking at places in Streeterville, and would prefer to be close to the north bank of the river, near like 400 S McClurg. I have a BIG dog, which means I would would like not to be on the Nteenth floor of an apartment building, and also would like some park space to let him have some fun. There is a small park right next to Lake Point Towers which would do the trick, so that's where I'm starting my search. I have also considered looking west along the Chicago Ave corridor, which will be more affordable, and its a pretty quick (15 min) bus ride right to the corner of Fairbanks and Chicago (or Superior). Lastly, I am considering moving back into Lakeview, along Sheridan Rd. This opens up the possibilities a bit, and it is also only a short (20 min) bus ride on the 151. Lakeview also has great park space, etc.

Some advice for those who don't know the area: don't be afriad to look westward a little. The studentspace suggestions are all within a couple of blocks north or south, which is as far as anybody will want to walk in mid-Feb. BUT, if you consider that one can walk thru Northwestern Hospital, connecting thru walkways/etc all the way to across the street from the law school, you can expand your search westward by a coupl of blocks knowing that it won't mean any extra outside walking. For example, (if you enter NU Hospital on Erie/St Clair)you can walk from Erie/Rush to school without having to spend any more time outside than if you were walking from 222 E Pearson. Just a thought.

In case anybody is interested in buying: I know there are places available in 680 N Lake Shore Drive (where Playboy is), 860 N Lake Shore Drive (famous Mies Van Der Rohe bldg), and even the Hancock Center for suprisingly affordable rates. These are all much better apartment bldgs than the ones on the studentspace website. (IMHO)

Merrill

Bronze

Post by Merrill » Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm

idrinkcoffee wrote:I finally got my confirmation of enrollment in the mail. Woohoo!

Also, my band just finished recording a 5-song EP this weekend! Woohoo!

Unfortunately, those two events together are making me happy and sad at the same time. :|
New rule: Free CDs for classmates!

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Tue May 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Merrill wrote:
idrinkcoffee wrote:I finally got my confirmation of enrollment in the mail. Woohoo!

Also, my band just finished recording a 5-song EP this weekend! Woohoo!

Unfortunately, those two events together are making me happy and sad at the same time. :|
New rule: Free CDs for classmates!
Hehe, no worries! I will probably have plenty in stock, and they are always free. I have discovered that playing in a rock band isn't exactly a money-making enterprise... hence, law school!
Last edited by idrinkcoffee on Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Tue May 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

idrinkcoffee

New

Post by idrinkcoffee » Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm the drummer.

It's best that I stay behind the kit and away from any vocal mics. ;)

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Wed May 21, 2008 2:37 am

Well, as most of you witnessed, vocal ability isn't exactly a prereq for Wigmore. If you're a vocalist, you want Habeas Chorus. :P

Pilobolus

New

Post by Pilobolus » Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks for the apartment advice. One other place that looks good online is 211 E Delaware which is all renovated studios. I'm not sure I'll get to go back to Chicago before I commit to a place, so all of your opinions are really helpful.

On another note, I hope they send us orientation stuff soon. Or maybe a t-shirt.

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed May 21, 2008 4:39 pm

Pilobolus wrote:Thanks for the apartment advice. One other place that looks good online is 211 E Delaware which is all renovated studios. I'm not sure I'll get to go back to Chicago before I commit to a place, so all of your opinions are really helpful.

On another note, I hope they send us orientation stuff soon. Or maybe a t-shirt.
I actually just ran into a classmate of mine at McClurg today, looking at apartments. Apparently the remodeling at 211 E Delaware was really awful; incredibly loud and inconvenient. After one of his finals, he came home to find a large hole in his apartment wall awaiting a new air conditioner - unfortunately it was left uncovered and construction dust was billowing in. Not something you'd have to deal with everyday, but enough for him to want out.

McClurg had some similar remodeling stuff which, while annoying, wasn't nearly so bad (plus it's all going to be done with by July).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

questionsquestions

New

Post by questionsquestions » Wed May 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Just submitted my deposit. Hi everyone! I'm a Chicago-area native, actually, so I might be able to answer some general questions about neighborhoods (though I'm most knowledgeable about areas other than those listed).

mumbling2myself

Bronze

Post by mumbling2myself » Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Welcome 2questions! I'll reciprocate your offer; if you've got any questions about the school (or, of course, if anyone else does) I'm more than happy to answer them.

ALilMusicFactry

New

Post by ALilMusicFactry » Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 pm

Does anyone know anything about Delaware II (25 E Delaware) or 40 E Oak?
I know a few people who live in E Delaware. Seems like things (e.g. heat, a/c) don't work as smoothly as in the newer buildings, but you'll probably pay less.
Well, as most of you witnessed, vocal ability isn't exactly a prereq for Wigmore.
ZING!!!

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Sat May 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”