UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
rockwell84

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Class of 2011

Post by rockwell84 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:31 pm

nate_2001 wrote:I suppose I was more interested in how people were going about finding roommates. I think I'd rather live with other 1Ls or law students than getting a spot with people I find on craigslist, but there are only a smattering of us on this board. When I'm finally able to set up my Cal email address, is there an email list or something that people are using to find roommates/plan for August?
mata leao wrote:I'm currently looking for housing, as well. Please feel free to PM me if you're interested in looking together.
raskolnikov wrote:I'd be willing to chat with both of you about housing options.
I'm also looking for a roommate or roommates and an apartment.

mata leao

New

Post by mata leao » Wed May 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tip re: the financial aid checklist, Babs. I'll be taking a look at that as soon as I get home.

Rask and Rockwell: I just PM'ed you guys about housing. Anyone else who's looking for a potential housemate is welcome to PM me, as well.

rubberbandman

New

Post by rubberbandman » Wed May 07, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm committing to Berkeley, too! (as soon as I get around to sending back the form)

I'm interested in housing, too, and willing to pay a touch extra for convenience (i.e. near law school)

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Wed May 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Congrats, rubberbandman!
nate_2001 wrote:I failed mine. Maybe I've lost that academic edge?

:shock:
Did you forget to click on the "HINT" links?

I seriously stared at that first one for a full two minutes thinking, ok what's going on here? What's the trick? And then I realized, nope, that really is just the answer printed right on the screen. :lol:

saradsun

New

Post by saradsun » Wed May 07, 2008 10:03 pm

thanks for the "hint!" :D

That's too funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mata leao

New

Post by mata leao » Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am

If anyone is interested, a few of us who met on TLS started a list of folks who are looking for roommates. Basically it just has our contact info and a few things that we are looking for. If you'd like to take a look at the list and/or add yourself to it, just PM me and I'll send you a link. I'll also post something to our class of 11 facebook page.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Fri May 09, 2008 1:38 am

If you all end up living together you should throw a TLS party. I'd invite you all to my place but I think it would fit max ten people. :lol:

Has everyone checked out the new and improved BearFacts? It now lists enrollment info, residency, more financial aid info, etc.

nate_2001

New

Post by nate_2001 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:57 pm

I get none of that. I'm still waiting for them to load me into the directory so I can create an email account.

edit: I was just able to make my email account and there is all the new info in my bearfacts.

broadway1422

New

Post by broadway1422 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:29 pm

How do you set up a Berkeley email account? My BearFacts has all the new information but I'm still not sure how to do it. I'm probably missing something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Mon May 12, 2008 1:19 pm

broadway1422 wrote:How do you set up a Berkeley email account? My BearFacts has all the new information but I'm still not sure how to do it. I'm probably missing something.
Go to https://calmail.berkeley.edu:10100/ to set up email account.

I have a separate housing question I hope someone familiar with the area can answer. Everest Properties seems to have relatively cheap rates near Berkeley but I've been looking online and have read some awful reviews; does anyone local know anything about their buildings? I called them and the receptionist was SO rude!...I can't imagine how management will be after I sign a lease. I live on the east coast and won't be able to see the apartments before signing a lease.

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Mon May 12, 2008 2:41 pm

yjlu wrote:
broadway1422 wrote:How do you set up a Berkeley email account? My BearFacts has all the new information but I'm still not sure how to do it. I'm probably missing something.
Go to https://calmail.berkeley.edu:10100/ to set up email account.

I have a separate housing question I hope someone familiar with the area can answer. Everest Properties seems to have relatively cheap rates near Berkeley but I've been looking online and have read some awful reviews; does anyone local know anything about their buildings? I called them and the receptionist was SO rude!...I can't imagine how management will be after I sign a lease. I live on the east coast and won't be able to see the apartments before signing a lease.
How much does it take to convince you?

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Mon May 12, 2008 3:36 pm

I know, I'm probably going to cross their apartments off my list. I was hoping that someone familiar with their buildings had something good to say. Too bad, they were close to campus, not expensive, AND had parking.

canelazo

New

Post by canelazo » Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 pm

I unsuccessfully ran a search for this, so I apologize if it's redundant: I was just able to set up my email account and access CalRentals, but it says you have to pay a $20 fee? Is it worth it? Are the rental listings that much better than on Craigslist?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Tue May 13, 2008 2:08 pm

I set up a Cal Rental for $20, but I really don't use it that often. That said, there are unique places on Cal Rentals that aren't on Craigslist. The majority of listing now are for June 1st lease dates, but hopefully there will be more listings for August move-in soon.

raskolnikov

New

Post by raskolnikov » Tue May 13, 2008 2:41 pm

yjlu wrote:I set up a Cal Rental for $20, but I really don't use it that often. That said, there are unique places on Cal Rentals that aren't on Craigslist. The majority of listing now are for June 1st lease dates, but hopefully there will be more listings for August move-in soon.
I talked with someone in admissions about that, and she said that after June 1, there will be a lot more options for different dates. I'm counting on that.

nate_2001

New

Post by nate_2001 » Tue May 13, 2008 4:07 pm

I'm kind of holding my breath on housing, unsure of what to do at this time. I think in June, I'll probably have to get to it and go down to look at places with a cashiers check and my credit report.

Also, I assume everyone received the list of student information. What do people plan on using it for? Like if someone is your same city you might drop them a line?

you rebel scum

New

Post by you rebel scum » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 am

looks like i'm going manville!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Fri May 16, 2008 12:31 pm

How's everyone's housing search, etc. going?

yjlu

New

Post by yjlu » Fri May 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Most of the move-in dates are too soon for me on Craigslist and Cal Rental, so I'm going to wait until the lease/move-in dates are closer to August 1st. But I think I've decided to look exclusively in Berkeley for a studio or 1BR <$1200.

Right now, I'm debating how much of the Federal Grad Plus loan to take out. Aren't the preferred private loans suppose to be listed soon?

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Fri May 16, 2008 3:23 pm

This from the financial aid office: The Preferred lender list should be available from UC's Office of the President in June. The list will be posted to our web site when it becomes available.

babs22pa

New

Post by babs22pa » Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 pm

In case anyone is interested. Here is the Fall 2008 1L Course list:

--LinkRemoved--

It's true that we will all have Civ Pro, Legal Writing, and one of either Torts or Crim, right? Does that mean 3/4 of us will have Property and 1/4 Contracts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

balla

New

Post by balla » Tue May 20, 2008 3:43 pm

Do yall mind if you post your fin aid offers from the school? I just want to compare mine with yalls. I understand if you aren't cool with it.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Wed May 21, 2008 5:29 pm

It's true that we will all have Civ Pro, Legal Writing, and one of either Torts or Crim, right? Does that mean 3/4 of us will have Property and 1/4 Contracts?
Not quite. Here are the possible breakdowns of your schedule:

Everyone has Civ Pro (3 big sections) and Legal writing (12 sections).

Supermod A will have torts in small section (3 sections) and crim in big section (1 section)
Supermod B will have crim in small section (3 sections) and torts in big section (1 section)
Supermod C will have property in small section (3 sections) and contracts in big section. (1 section)

Your chances of being in any particular supermod are roughly equal (except for the so-called "Mommy Mod.")

balla

New

Post by balla » Wed May 21, 2008 6:03 pm

im having buyers remorse about turning down boalt for ucla...

saradsun

New

Post by saradsun » Wed May 21, 2008 6:06 pm

for some reason that breakdown of class splitups just totally stressed me out. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”