Boston College Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
Gus Chiggins

New

Re: Boston College Class of 2011

Post by Gus Chiggins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:34 pm

ImACuckoo wrote:So when were we going to raid the BU Law building and give their students purple nurples? Wait, is that plan supposed to be a secret?
You think we can't read this forum?

You better watch your own nipples.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:39 pm

MMW wrote:
it's an invite-only dinner for students receiving endowed scholarships to meet benefactors and donors and what not. just wondering if anyone will be there.
I am receiving an endowed scholarship. I guess they just don't want me to be there. :(

that's weird. sorry. i just received my invite yesterday so maybe yours just hasnt come yet? didn't mean to make this awkward haha.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Hey, at least you're getting a scholarship...

ImACuckoo

New

Post by ImACuckoo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Dana821 wrote:
MMW wrote:
it's an invite-only dinner for students receiving endowed scholarships to meet benefactors and donors and what not. just wondering if anyone will be there.
I am receiving an endowed scholarship. I guess they just don't want me to be there. :(

that's weird. sorry. i just received my invite yesterday so maybe yours just hasnt come yet? didn't mean to make this awkward haha.

Weird... I never got the invite either. It might be because I never got a scholarship though. Yea, that's probably it.

ImACuckoo

New

Post by ImACuckoo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:47 pm

Gus Chiggins wrote:
ImACuckoo wrote:So when were we going to raid the BU Law building and give their students purple nurples? Wait, is that plan supposed to be a secret?
You think we can't read this forum?

You better watch your own nipples.

I just didn't think you guys were smart enough to make your way over...completely joking. And to prevent anyone taking offense, I'll repeat: I'm just joking. Kind of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:23 am

There is a chance the dinner i was referring to is only for BC alum who are heading to BC law. the invitation wasnt 100% clear, but I kind of got that feeling, because they asked what year BC I was, so unless they were referring to BC Law 2011, I'm thinking they meant BC ugrad 2007. Sorry for the confusion...

but still, anyone going?

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:11 pm

I know this might seem like a silly question that I should already know but I never thought to ask it during my campus visit and I can't find the answer on the website. Does anyone know if all the 1Ls take the same classes each semester or do some some sections take a class, such as torts, during the fall semester, while another section will take it in the spring? If the former is the case, is it possible to find out now what our classes will be for the fall?

jeff2486

New

Post by jeff2486 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:25 pm

All 1Ls take the same classes at the same time.

If it is the same as this year you will have Civ Pro, Torts, Property, LRRW, and Contracts first semester. CivPro and LRRW are full-year so you only have 3 exams in December.

Starting next year you will have an electice in the spring, so don't hold me to the schedule because they may rearrange some things.

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Thanks Jeff!
When did you find out what your schedule will be?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jeff2486

New

Post by jeff2486 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:49 pm

I really can't remember. All our classes were between 9:00-3:05. Meaning they end at 3:05. Half of the section starts at 9:00 and half at 10:00. Usually at least an hour when every 1L has lunch.

ImACuckoo

New

Post by ImACuckoo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:10 pm

What are the best banks in the area? I'll be needing to transfer some money over there.

Also, someone please tell me they have Chipotle in Boston. I thought it was everywhere until I met people who had never been to a Chipotle before b/c it wasn't in their hometown. Scary. And no, Qdoba does not count.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:40 pm

bank of america is really convenient. there are 3 atm locations on the main campus, i'm not sure about the law campus though (i would think there would be one, but im not sure), but down the street in cleveland circle there is a bank of america location.

and im not sure about chipotle, but anna's taqueria is pretty much the best.

jeff2486

New

Post by jeff2486 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:01 pm

There is a Bank of America ATM in the law school. There is also a Bank of America branch in Newton Centre which is about 1 mile from the law school. There are plenty of Citizens Bank branches in Boston as well.

There is a Chipotle in Cleveland Circle, pretty close by to BC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:20 pm

When I moved to Boston my first reaction was, "no one told me that there aren't any Chipotles, Jamba Juices, or Citibanks."
Last year Citibanks started popping up around the city like a plague.
Then, just two months ago, a Chipotle opened in Cleavland Circle by BC.
There is still only one Jamba Juice in Boston, and it is located in the BU cafeteria. :)

Also, if you don't like convenience, I would recommend Wainwright Bank. They are a small bank in Boston that supports a whole slew of positive social causes.
However, they don't have many branches or ATMs.

--LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

ImACuckoo

New

Post by ImACuckoo » Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 am

Hmm, that Wainwright bank does look great, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to make the adjustment. I have the most common bank in my current city and I still get annoyed when I have to go too far to get to an ATM.

Kompressor

Bronze

Post by Kompressor » Thu May 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Does Bank of America still have the deal where you don't have to pay to take money out at other ATMs? If that's the case, I think I may transfer over to them for that reason alone.

GoodnessMe

New

Post by GoodnessMe » Thu May 01, 2008 2:45 pm

where are people looking for housing? i'm going to live by myself so roommate hunts aren't helpful and i'm totally unfamiliar with the boston area :oops:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 pm

get in touch with a couple of realtors in the area and if you are able, go on some tours with them. tell them you're a grad student, and look in brighton, allston, brookline, and newton if you want (cheaper & closer than living in actual boston. the law school is in newton, but that's more expensive and totally family/residential). There is a grad housing fair june 20th, and it will feature realtors in addition to roommates, so if you dont have a place by then you should check it out. You can check out craigslist to get an idea about the look & prices of 1 bedrooms/studios in the area so you are a bit better educated when you go on tours. I'd guess you'll be paying b/w 1000-1300 for a one bedroom, but see what you find.

MMW

New

Post by MMW » Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 pm

I hope to live in the Cleavland Circle area, but I am waiting until the mid/end of May to start looking. There is a realty group in Cleavland Circle called green line realty, so that is probably the first place I am going to go.
So I started to work out some of the details of my budget for next year, and for the life of me I can't figure out how people budget in a car. Yet, it seems like most of the BC law students drive to campus. Anyone here planning on bringing a car? How do people make it work?
Once you factor in insurance, gas, upkeep, registration, parking on campus, and parking at home, the monthly cost equals out to about the same as I plan to pay per month for rent.
An first I thought that I could find street parking in the Alston/Brighton area, but when I asked some friends with cars that live in that area they all said that it is almost impossible to find a spot after 5:30.

EDIT: For those looking for a place in Brookline, keep in mind that there is no overnight parking in Brookline. Also, the landlords know this, so they charge an arm and a leg for a parking spot, by which I mean around 150-200 a month.

GoodnessMe

New

Post by GoodnessMe » Thu May 01, 2008 3:20 pm

ive been looking in towns 15-20 minutes outside of newton (and going away from boston) because i was finding cheaper/nicer stuff the farther i go from boston. plus, most of these places have parking included. it takes me 30 minutes to get to my college (darn nyc subways) so this doesn't phase me.

and the idea of $150-200 parking being expensive is almost comical to me. you can pay $80 for one night in times square. :lol: but it's all about perspective. :D

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:05 pm

if you dont mind living 30 mins away that's cool, but i know that most students live much closer, so if you ever need to pop home b/w classes b/c you forgot a book, or want to study with a group, you will be far out of the way and will be constantly coming back into the newton area.

that being said, i'm the kind of person who enjoys the community and comraderie of having everyone close by, so i may be biased.

i would highly recommend AGAINST relying on brighton street parking. most streets require permits, and if you're anywhere within about a 10 minute driving radius of bc main campus you will be towed every friday night in the fall for the football games. i had a car up there one summer and it worked out with street parking, but i was home by about 6 every day, adn there was no football. i tried to have my car up there during the year, and immediately got towed. brighton has some decent areas with driveways/parking included so you may want to check that out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jeff2486

New

Post by jeff2486 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:12 pm

If you have a car and you don't need to be right next to school (i.e. you are the type that goes to school for class and studies at home) you might want to check out Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, Cambridge, and Somerville. Those are some neighborhoods that I enjoy, that are a different feel from the college atmosphere you will find in brighton/allston. Roslindale and JP are also fair inexpensive.

Dana821

New

Post by Dana821 » Mon May 05, 2008 2:52 pm

i'll be up in boston apartment hunting this weekend. any advice/success stories/horror stories?

GoodnessMe

New

Post by GoodnessMe » Mon May 05, 2008 3:59 pm

dont go to hancock village owned by chestnut hill reality. yuck. (if you live there, sorry, but the apts i saw were horrid!)

i also heard that there was a serious mouse problem in brookline post big dig... my sister had this issue. not sure if it carries over everywhere but worth asking current tenents about.

good luck! 8)

JoshStein

New

Post by JoshStein » Mon May 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Tell the Realtors you are a graduate student. They stick undergrads in rundown places and gouge the hell out of them at the same time.

Ask about bedbugs, don't rent in an apartment that has them or had them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”